Roll Cages

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MImowerkid, Jul 9, 2004.

1. MImowerkid

MImowerkid LawnSite Member

Does anyone out there have any comments about the need of a role cage for a mower made before 2004 , I have a few accounts with big hills and I mow a few large ditches and I was just wondering if I should get a role cage for my mower? It should cost 179.99 instaled and I figure that is worth it , if my life could be at stake . Any stories ? Anyone ever flipped one?

2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

First thing I take off a mower and fold down on a tractor. If she rolls I want off. Do not plan on going along for the ride.

3. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I just can't see putting it on. I go around so many trees, I'd be ripping branches off all over the place. I have opted not to at this time.

4. MImowerkid

MImowerkid LawnSite Member

The version toro makes has a feature where it folds in half with a two pins , also it has a seatbelt , I would would only have it up on a few select lawns . I agree I do not want to go on any rides but rather that than being crushed ! thanks for the advice .

5. ihatestumps

ihatestumps LawnSite Member
    from ct

I'm with you highgrass, I have two lazers one old one without the rollcage, and a brand new one with it. My guys would take the old beater every time! You mentioned trees, I had a guy get caught up on a telephone pole support wire. Almost flipped it right over. Needless to say, the cage is sitting in the back of the shop. If you do decide to put one on it takes some getting used to. You get so used to cruisin right under those trees.

6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

You are better off jumping for it if you roll something, then to ride it out. I have ripped several tree branchs off with my kubota tractor's roll bar. The biggest problem with most ZTRS are that the steering controls trap you if you roll. Which is why they come with roll bars. The wright sentar, nothing traps you. You can come right off the back. Which is why it doesn't need a roll bar. Every new lazer I have seen has the roll bar top half taken off. Some I have even seen cut off near the base. Because the lower half still catches stuff.

7. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

roll cages are for wusses who cant hang hills....j/k

honestly if i even have to think "do i need a roll bar for this hill?" then you will not catch me on that hill for anything.....

we cut a commercial site on the corner of 7 mile and haggerty roads and there is a hill that is parrelel to haggerty road(so basically if a tire where to slip you would have no chance of recovering and you would be in the road.) that we cut the whole thing with string trimmer b/c im just not willing to risk saftey or that of my employees..

8. jaybird

jaybird LawnSite Senior Member

i have one on my tractor and when i get in situations when i think nessesary i put my seat-belt on, also im a macho-man, they are there 4 a reason.

9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Do you like the idea of being belted onto a mower that is upsidedown in water simply because it wont crush you? I dont, thats why mine are in the garage, and the mower is on the trailer.

10. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

I took mine off too.

If things look like I might flip a mower, I use the WB.

The ROPS lust got in the way one too mant times. Ripped tree limbs off, hit electric pole guide wires, ect, ect.

When you lower it half way, it's still too high. When you put it down all the way, it's still too high.

Did I mention I took it off.