Roll off container - how heavy?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by turfquip, Sep 14, 2005.

1. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

I am getting quotes on a roll off container (my first) to fit my swaploader.

One supplier offers a light duty, 16' box w/10 guage floor and 12 guage sides. Cross members will be 3" channel on 20" centers. Side height will be 36".

I am not sure it will be heavy duty enough...and so here is my question.

Will be using it for mulch, topsoil (up to 7 yards) hauling and dumping lawn debris, limbs, shrub tear outs, etc. I will not be dumping chunks of concrete, or tree stumps into it. No C & D work except occassionally dumping shingles for my friend in the roofing business when he has tear offs.

OK, I like the idea of a lighter box as far as economy and available (legal) GVW. Based on the uses I have described, will this box be durable enough or get destroyed quickly?

Its about 8 percent less $ too.

2. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

You will be sitting at about 3000 lbs.

3. turfquip

Thanks Bill.

Do you believe the box has adequate strength for the uses I described?

4. TerraFirma Excavating

TerraFirma Excavating LawnSite Member

Are you going to ever roll the container on or off the truck while the container is loaded? Or to you plan on dumping contents like a dump truck, then rolling off the empty container?

5. turfquip

It will be rolled on and off fully loaded, probably never more than 6000lbs.

6. TerraFirma Excavating

TerraFirma Excavating LawnSite Member

A lot of it will depend on the main rail size and how heavy duty the front end is built where the hook will be picking it up. 3" channel sounds OK, but I think 16" centers may be better suited.

Filling an empty box on the ground could lead to overloading. You could end up with 14 yards of material in the box if not careful. You should plan on about 25% excess in your weight calculations. So about 7,500# load and 3,000# for the box for a total of 10,500#.

7. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

How much ribbing are you going to put on the sides? 12 gau. material, 3' high sides, are they rolled up to the top or is there a 90° angle to the top rail? also, have your welder attach a hunk of angle iron the width of the top rail, the entier length of the box. Do this not so much for strength, but to keep materials from sitting on the top rail. That will save alot of labor later, as well as busted windshield claims.

8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The first thing we need to know what size and gvw truck are you dealing with ?

I personally would build the whole box with 1/8 skin it will keep the dents to a minimum and strengthen up the sides. You do want the floor of the box to be strong to keep it from twisting when pulling it aboard you also don't want it to bend like a banana when you pull it over the rear roller.

I drove tandem axle roll off with 40 yard bins during the summer its amazing how well a bin holds together even when they are thin and worn out. If you are going to be hauling abrasive material you may want to get a tougher steel plate (abrasive resistant). We had a box like you described for hauling sand and gravel it was a 20' box with low sides. It definatly took a beating hauling rock or rocky material it was okay for sand and gravel. You definatly couldn't load the box up with gravel and pull it back on the truck is conventional rails.

Without knowing what kind of truck you are dealing with its hard to tell how sensitive you will be to weight.

9. turfquip

Thanks for your input everybody.

Gravel Rat, This is an FL 60 25,500 GVW. I put the SL 222 on it which, reflecting back, was overkill for that chassis. The Swaploader salesman failed to mention the SL 185 which is now available (and a better fit) for my class 6. The good thing is that it will be appropriate for my next truck once this one is paid off. I'm thinking I'll step up to an International class 7.

The big difference (besides loading capacity) is the weight of the hoist assembly itself. Mine weighs 4000#. The tare weight of my truck w/o bed is 13,420. The 18' flat bed I'm currently using weighs about 3,200.

So a 3000# can with an expected cargo weight of 6000# should keep me legal.

10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Ahh yes I can see why you are concerned about weight I would say go for that box it would be good if the crossmembers were set abit closer together.
    If you had a heavier duty truck I would say go for the heavier box with your truck already is payload sensitive you will want a lighter box. You will prolly eventually want to upgrade to a 33,000lb truck maybe a 35,000lb truck.

As for brand I don't know if International is as good as they used to be I would probably say go with a Kenworth or a Sterling medium duty like a L-8500.