Roll off, hook lift, etc

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by allinearth, Jun 28, 2008.

1. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

Been looking at roll off beds, especially Switch n Go. Like em alright except the longest bed they build is 14'. I'm thinking 16' would be better for me. So does anyone have experience with another Co. that makes a longer set up?

2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

They go beyond 14'.......I have a 15' dumpster. Cost about $100-$150 extra......no big deal. I'm sure you can get longer if you want.

If you need a good dealer to talk to adn get a good price message me.

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

You can put a longer body on a rolloff but you loose your dump angle.

Short rails long box poor dump angle, proper length rails with the proper length body good dump angle.

4. allinearth

OK maybe it is 15' but it still leaves me with a 1' gap between cab anf box. Yeah I could put a tool box or something but not sure I want to go that route without exploring some options.

5. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

if all you're worried about is a 1' gap......it won't look bad

have you taken into consideration cutting the excess of frame you may have that goes beyond the rear shackles to close that 1' gap?

6. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

Cutting frame off of the back will put more weight on the long section of the frame possibly making it more likely to buckle. Think long and hard about the weight distribution. I just sold a gooseneck trailer that I loved because the company that built it obviously didn't know anything about engineering. Every time that I put ANY load on it, it would flex BAD.

7. allinearth

Yep, don't want a truck that is not properly balanced.

8. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

what are you wanting to haul and what truck are you putting it on?

9. allinearth

Going on a C7500 with a 26k gross. Also 12' cab to axle. I will be hauling mulch, gravel, pallets of stone and mulch, topsoil, equip,etc. Basically anything landscape related. Trying to make this truck a swiss army knife so to speak.

10. oakhillslandscaping

oakhillslandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

"OK maybe it is 15' but it still leaves me with a 1' gap between cab anf box. Yeah I could put a tool box or something but not sure I want to go that route without exploring some options."

couldnt you use that extra foot to put a auto tarp system? idk if it needs more then a foot but it was just a thought because i am looking at the same setup on a different truck