1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Roll when seeding?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Westbrooklawn, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

I was reading an article today in a state ag. pamphlet that highly recommended rolling after seeding or overseeding, including any type of seeding process (aerate and seed, slit seed, etc.). It claimed a much better germination rate because the rolling made for better seed/soil contact. I have never rolled in 12 years of overseeding......does anyone else?....and if so do you notice better results?

Always looking for a better way......of course price would have to go up because of extra labor and equipment to roll.

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Never rolled 'em here.

MATT

3. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Always will ...always have. I don't have any scientific proof it is better ... just the way I was taught many moons ago.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Some I don't, most I do. I don't add very much water, just enough to make good seed/soil contact. Scientific proof? Naw, but real world proof? Yes. I've noticed a difference many times. It also helps if your expecting lots of rain. Seed will stay in place better.