rolled the 312 tuesday

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by gammon landscaping, Jun 7, 2007.

1. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

well tuesday morning we loaded up the 312 to go clean out a pond. it had rained the night before, we haul it on a 20 ton tilt top hudson trailer. the machine went right up on the trailer no problem. but when we got to the site i was unloading on the hard sholder of the highway. well i started off the trailer and when it tilted the machine slid of the side of the trailer and turned up side down on me. i am ok, but it crushed the cab. i stayed in the cab but it smashed the cab pretty bad. i was able to climb out, the only thing that it really did to me was cut me up a little from all the broken glass, i guess i am pretty lucky. just wanted everyone to remeber this kind of thing allways happenes when you don'y expect it

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry to hear about that, but I've seen it happen too many times. Few years ago I saw a 315 roll off the side of a trailer and down an embankment. Guy had the machine chained down but parked the right side wheels on a soft shoulder. Trailer shifted, chains broke and over went the machine.

3. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

Few year back i had a part time job covering trash at a landfill. We used old D-8 Cats to bump pan and cover up. Winter time and and we are runnig with our lights on try to finnish because it was Friday. Well i started to back the machine on a slight grade to my left side and felt like i was running on rocks. So i stop and start to kreep forwards and the machine just started to slip down the grade sideways. It was Ice that i was on. Man what a feeling when you feel that sucker slide out from you. I just slipped my foot of the throtle pedal and the machine made a turn so the back was pointing down hill and i jammed it into reverse and pulled out of it. I think i $hit myself in that 4 seconds too. My brother on another machine said i slipped a good 40 feet to the side. Operator beware!

4. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

glad you didn't get hurt too bad. was it yours or a rental? by the way, i was over in your neck of the woods wednesday and thursday. nice area.

5. turboawd

turboawd LawnSite Member
    from midwest

got any pics?

6. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

yea i took some pics after we got it ride side up and straightened the cab with the 953. all the big stuff is dads. funny thing is when i was a kid and i hung the air hose up in the shop left handed he would scream and yell , but when you turn his track hoe over he dosn't seem care, he was worried about me i guess

7. turboawd

turboawd LawnSite Member
    from midwest

was your trailer not level while unloading?

how about fastening heavy rubber mats on a trailer to prevent slippage? or maybe something else to prevent slippage??

8. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to load and haul a Cat EL200B on a triple axle tiltbed. I would only load it on a flat, level surface. Since the machine was 10' wide and the trailer 8'6" is was critical to get it lined up perfectly and drive it straight up the trailer. Other operators has gotten it sideways at one time or another but I was lucky enough to not have a problem.

9. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

It is always good to hear these stories, at least for me it is. It continues to remind me not to be too cocky and continue to error on the side of caution. I have never rolled a machine, but I have gone "skiing" in a machine more than once ( last Monday after 2 1/2" of rain a bank broke underneath my machine and I went down the side into a 14' hole ). Be safe. Be safe. Be safe.