Rolled tractor on it's side

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cantoo, Aug 26, 2007.

1. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Had a close call today, put my tractor on it's side. I was spraying Par111 on my son's dirt bike track today. I was doing the outside of a berm on a corner and wasn't paying enough attention where I was driving. I was using my Steiner 430 Max 4x4 with front mount sprayer and rear 40 gal tank. On a slight incline and my front low side wheel went in a small hole, next thing I know I am falling on the ground and trying to roll away from it down the hill. Luckily I didn't have the water tank strapped in and it fell off which stopped the tractor from going right over. The knockaway boom stopped it for a second so I could get out of the way before it bent. It all seemed to happen in slow motion but it was actually fairly quick. The sprayer was still running and the diesel was still roaring away while I scrambled back up to shut everything down. Took about 2 hours to bend everything back straight and replace the end nozzle. I have duals for it but never had them on. It's been one of those days, I blew two hoses this morning when I hooked the return and supply lines up backwards. Maybe I should have just when to church today instead of trying to get caught up.
  2. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

I often feel that way too. A fella needs to rest one day a week anyways!
  3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Been there too. Three John Deere 445's have been rolled by one emplyee over the past three years.

First time he rolled it on a steep hill while fertilizing with granules. (fert spreader on a 3-point hitch)

Second time he lost one off a trailer going 60 mph (turns out, he didn't secure the hitch so the safety chains came into action). The trailer swerved severly causing the JD 445 to roll into the ditch.....there wasn't much left of it.

3rd time.....He rolled another 445 with a 3-point hitch & fert spreader....the unit still works, but there's alot of duct tape, cracked hood, etc, and the muffler is busted (very loud now, and it sound like a helicopter)

Problem is, he's my brother-in-law, and my wife if our office manager.

My wife said "Curt has always been hard on vehicles"...........NO SH$T! But, of course, I can't fire him. Life goes on.
  4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

This is the way I'm thinking.

We've had no rain all summer, so work's been pretty easy.

We've had plans since May to go to Vegas last weekend.

2 weeks ago, we had storms blow through the area, so we were running behind that week picking up periodic branches, trimming up broken limbs here and there, plus fighting 5" of rain in 3 days, the ground being wet and grass growing like mad.

Finally get caught up by Monday, then all last week it rains, mowed 85 hours in rain gear to try to keep everything "looking" like it had been mowed.

Had clumps everywhere, ruts, nothing you could do, just trying to get a mower over everything.

Went to Vegas, it was 75 and sunny here all weekend.

Get back at 4 am Monday morning, we land in a thunderstorm and it was 65 and cloudy with drizzle all day.

Usually my dad will cover for me at some school fields that I mow, but my mom wasn't feeling the greatest so he couldn't go and get those done, so I had to go do them.

Then at 10 pm last night, my mom goes in to have an emergency operation to have her appendix taken out, so we were at the hospital until 1 am.

Then about 3 am, more storms so there's more branches and leaves laying around everywhere again, along with another 1" of rain.

Now it's raining again, which is why I'm at home at 2:30 in the afternoon typing away.

I'd have the raingear on, but the wife has to work today, and my dad's still at the hospital with my mom, waiting since 9 this morning for her to be discharged.

I should have stayed home from Vegas from the rest of the family and worked...... that's what happens when I think I can get away.
  5. scraps

scraps LawnSite Member

American lawn Im feeling your pain. My situation isnt quite that bad. You can always say someone has it rougher than you. Peace out..............