Roller vs. chain striper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ICE, Nov 21, 2004.

?

What is your striper?

1. Roller

59.7%
  2. Chain

19.4%
  3. Rubber

22.6%
  4. Other

1.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ICE

ICE LawnSite Member

Ok guys, here is my big hold back to getting a roller to stripe my lawns. Some of the lawns that I do are not very flat an was wondering if the bumps and hills would make contact with the roller and damage it. That is where I think that a chain stripe kit would work better. And I think that the chain set up would be alot easier to take off if not needed. Does anybody have any opinions on which would be better?

Also, I have a 48 exmark tthp with a single wheel velke that I am looking to get this strper on to. If I use a stripe kit with the velke, the velke will most definately leave a single mark down the center, and some of the lawns that I do are over an acre in mowing size, so walking it is just simply not an option. Does anyone have any pics of this setup and the stripes that were left with the single wheel velke? Ya, I know, I need to get rid of that single wheel velke and get a proslide or something else.

And if anyone else has a piece of rubber that they use as a striper, please feel free to chime in, I am considering that method as well! :cool2:

Thanks for your insight!

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have always wondered this as well, with what works best. I have used a roller before, but never chains. I think that I am just scared the one of the chains will come off, or it won't be heavy enough to lay down the grass

3. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I have a turflex striping kit. works great on my 260Z

4. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

I think the chain kits look horrible, what do your customers think of them. Do you do any high end residential?

5. I'm still wondering why you even use a stripe kit.

6. jtkplc

I don't care what my equipment looks like while I'm doing the yard, I care what it looks like after I'm done. I am not saying that I have dirty equipment, however. I care a great deal about keeping my equipment in top shape. But I dont care if my customer thinks my ZTR is ugly or my striping kit. They don't hire me based on that. They hire me on what kind of work I do. Several of my residentials are "high end". I have had no complaints about how my striping kit looks. Only compliments about how my work looks.

7. jtkplc

I still use a striping kit because it enhances the strip that I already get. Why don't you use a striping kit?

8. ICE

ICE LawnSite Member

Do you have any pics of your lawns and the kit that you use? Everybody?

9. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

he's a newbie, look at the equipment list

10. green horizions

green horizions LawnSite Member

how do I get a hold of this company turflex do they have a number or a web site i have been trying to find them. My problem is that I bought a 2007 Gravley pm 252 xdz 0 turn riding mower and the striping kit that I bought for it is just a flap which is not cutting it for me and i want to get a kit with a roller that connects on the back of the mower somewhere because supposedly this is not enough room between the mower deck and the back wheels