1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rollers, chains, or flaps?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yardboyltd, Jul 28, 2002.

1. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone care to offer a comparison in striping abilities between the three? I really like the Big League lawn rollers, however since I'm in the transistional zone, with lots of patches of bermuda, I'm leaning towards the thick rubber flaps b.c it would produce more of a raking affect I'd think...better for bermuda...
  2. kroll

kroll LawnSite Member

I have changed from chains to flaps .
    seem to give a little more definition on the lower quality lawns.
  3. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i have that noticed chains help the single bladed variety of grasses better than rollers, flaps are the best for stoloneus types
  4. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

I ordered a flap from eXmark to put on my Bob-Cat walkbehind. It's curved to the front and simply hangs from the axle. I might put a row of 2-3 links of chain on the bottom if I'm not satisfied with it. I think it is 14-15 dollars.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Lazer that has a York striper on it. It works great, but if I was going to do it all over again, I would build me a chain setup. There are advantages of each one over the other, but the chains are much more economical for the end result.
  6. REO

REO Guest

I have the EZ Striper on all my eXmarks, and I must say that I would think that chains, and flaps would tend to be alittle more abrasive to the grass. Where as the roller rolls over the grass and I feel that it's alittle more friendly to the lawn. Just my opinion .
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Well, one major advantage to it is that it also works as a full width antiscalp roller. On tops of berms and such, it's foolproof. Also the fact that you remove the rear corner casters allow you to get in much closer to many objects.