Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Trimline, Feb 3, 2001.

1. Trimline

Trimline LawnSite Member

I went to my local rental shop the other day interested in getting a roller for the month of april. It was going to cost me 630.00 for the month. This is for a 1 1/4 ton stow with an 11 or 13 horse honda. The man then offered me a 4 year old 1 1/4 ton stow, with a 8 horse honda for 800.00. I'm not so sure it is such a good idea to buy from a rental shop. Can anyone give me a rundown of how to check one of these things over. Things that break most commonly, parts prone to wear, life expectancy of this machine ect..

2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

To add to Trimline's thread, is lawn rolling another service we can provide, or is it not really a demand from people. My father-in-law asked me about it but I don't know how well it really works or if people want it.
  3. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

$800 a month!!!!I built my own for less than $800 dollars.And 1-1/4ton!!!Maby lawn rolling is not a common practice in your area,but here in ontario it is very common.If you use a 1-1/4 ton you may not have to cut that lawn all year :-0.It would not kill the lawn,but it would compact the roots badly.As you know the deeper and healther the roots the better and thicker the lawn.Keep in mind some people do use 1 ton and up rollers,but I have seen the diffrence in lawns that had it done and lawns that have not.Personally I use a 1/2 ton roller.It has a 6.5 honda and a belt drive system that goes to a 4 forward 1 reverse tranny.I have had my roller up to 30kph!!!:)Also try to find a narrow roller,since most of your work is residential and many have small gates.I hope this helps!If you have any questions let me know!

4. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

In our area rolling is only necessary for installation of sod...never seen it for anything else.
  5. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

that roller is a chain drive not much to the mech. as long as the motor runs good you could sell it for more money to a blacktop company maybe.
    for lawn rolling to get yard smother i would say a ztr's tires would do better.
    if you do buy it you could all so do the small pot holes in your commercial jobs parking lots for extra money .
    i would use cation on that roller on hills and slopes chains break or pop off sometimes and theres no brakes and all that weight will send you flying .