1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rolling a yard?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Schlepie, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Schlepie

Schlepie LawnSite Member

I have several clients that had bermuda sod installed without the soil being leveled or graded ( typical with new homes huh? ), and always have the blade rings when i mow in certain areas. I read an article about rolling the yard with a sod roller to level out the lawn. If this is so, would you need to water the yard first to soften the soil or what?

2. Arnold

Arnold LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

A sod roller is usually used just after installation of sod I don't know if you could get the lawn soft enuff to level it with a roller after time has gone by.
  3. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I had a yard that had deep ruts in it from the last service cutting in the same tracks I watered the yard for 12 hours the used a water filled roller that took care of the ruts
  4. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

it is if there's moles.:D
  5. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

You can also put sand in the low spots.
  6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

my kids always used toilet paper.:)
  7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I would recommend a water filled roller after the lawn has been thoroughly wet for hours prior to the rolling. This will help to get rid of any ruts & high spots. You will want to then aerate the lawn after this to prevent soil compaction.

8. KLR

KLR LawnSite Member
    from Zone 6

personally, i think all rollers should be outlawed....however, as mentioned above, be sure to aerate after rolling
  9. pyrocare

pyrocare LawnSite Member

I never have liked rollers. They seem like you are doing the exact opposite of what we try to sell in the spring and fall - Aerating.

One of my new customers laster year had me roll their lawn and then they sent me a letter saying they didn't want me to mow their lawn since my rider would compact their lawn to much.:dizzy: :dizzy:
  10. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think a roller wil help with the "low" spots. Pretty much what has happened is who ever installed the sod did not set the sub grade properly. As a result, the finish grade, ie. the top soil and sod, settled to the contours of the sub grade.
    You can try rolling it - I do not think with our clay soils it will help much with the rock and calcarious formations yards are put over.

Aerate the living crap out of it, I mean at least three directions, with the largest diameter tines, topdress with a similar soil as the top soil to the amount of at least covering the crowns of the existent turf, and charge the customer accordingly.

The only other alternative is to rip everything out, set the sub grade first, finish grade second, then sod.

Good luck.