Lawn Care Forum banner

<Rolling Eyes>

5K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Lite4 
#1 ·
I had a repair call this morning for a system that "the dog chewed through the wires some time back and our fix has corroded and we'd like it fixed correctly." No one was going to be home but when I arrived, this is what I found. Called the customer and told them there was too much wrong here to fix and what they had wasn't worth spending the money that would be required to make it even kind of right. Told them I'd be happy to install a new system but I just can't make repairs to this one.

There are so many problems here, I wouldn't know where to begin if I were going to try and "fix" it.

Plant Water Wood Grass Line

See less See more
#7 ·
We get calls like that all the time. Often it's when we're doing a landscape remodel on a property and the people ask me to fix their lighting system or extent their lighting system into the new landscape that we're building. Aside from the fact that their tiny transformer doesn't have any room to add more fixtures even if I wanted to, I always take it as an opportunity to explain to them the differences between a professional outdoor lighting system and the one they have currently. I go through and explain the difference in illumination, lumen output, quality of the fixtures and transformer, lifespan of the lamps, our timer system (astro) vs. the one they have now that they have to change every 30 days, warranty of the fixtures, etc. I get them excited about what a real system would look like and then they will usually say, "Wow. That sounds great. How much more would we be talking about to get that kind of system then?" And then I explain that because it's a totally different kind of system, it obviously comes with a much higher price. And we'll go into some numbers a little. Often times, we'll end up replacing their old system with a brand new one. So sometimes it can be a good opportunity. But other times they just won't even consider spending thousands of dollars on lighting. Just not the right fit. I just move on then.

On another note, you'll be happy to know I joined the AOLP. Me and Paul Welty of Innovative Lighting here in Portland are in the process of starting a chapter here. No, I don't think I'll be going to the conference this year. One step at a time..... But I did enter a few photos in the contest too. Feel good about joining. I think it was a good decision. Lighting has become a really big part of our business in the last few years and I feel we can really benefit by being part of the AOLP.

#8 ·
Hey there Jim, welcome to the AOLP! As for the "system" in this thread, if you are there anyway doing some work, I agree with you all the way. When someone calls that we don't know, we always ask them if it's a professionally installed system and explain that we do not work on DIY equipment.

#9 ·
congratulations on joining the AOLP Jim. After this year on the east coast, maybe it will be held next year closer to you and paul welty. Paul's a good man and I wish you all well on getting your chapter going

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.