Rolling Lawn

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by balynn, Jul 6, 2004.

1. balynn

balynn LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I have a new lawn and need to know when I can roll it to even out the bumps from when the seed was planted. It is very rough to mow. I have a lightweight pull behind mower or get a large steam roller. Try to find the best option that won't hurt the grass. Is it best in spring or fall or now? Could I please have some suggestions or some place where I can get information.

2. Loganwildman

Loganwildman LawnSite Member

There is a guy around here that rolls yards every spring with a unit that pulls behind his tractor. I have heard that his setup weighs around 6000lb.

I doubt if your light roller will do much good, especially this time of year. the best time is in the early spring. If you have a rental yard around that rents small (2-3000lb) rollers, rent it after a good rain, and go over your yard several times.

3. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I hate the idea of having a 3000, or 6000!!! lb roller on a lawn. Talk about compaction!! They best method I found is to hire out a Harley/Box rake, fill in the lower spots with some topsoil, and run the rake over the yard leveling the high spots, while filling in the low, then reseeding.

4. kbenvironmental

kbenvironmental LawnSite Member

Once you have it relatively smooth you can add sand with a drop speader or by hand on the low spots. The sand naturally finds the low spots.

5. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

I saw a guy rent a powered tamper the other day. He only used it to smooth out some wheel ruts that he left in the yard while hauling out some brush. It seemed to work pretty well.

B

6. Loganwildman

Loganwildman LawnSite Member

I hear ya, but around here, Lawn rolling has been going on for as long as I can remember. I know people that hire this guy year after year with no visible damage to the lawn.