Rolling or not

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Allens LawnCare, May 20, 2005.

1. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I need some opinions, What gives better growth for new seed. Should I seed, Rake the surface a little bit, Roll out the seed and new loam, Seed it again and roll it again to hold the seed. Or Can I spread the loam, Roll it Seed it rake a little in and seed it again and not roll it again.......just seams to compact to roll it out twice

2. miltthemower

miltthemower LawnSite Member

Even though you are a red sox fan I will give you some knowledge I learned from this site. From my understanding you need to till the area, rake, seed, fertilize then lay straw. I hope that helped.

By the way I have been a Yankee fan since 1976. First game I watched was with my dad when Reggie Jackson hit three home runs in the World Series.

Go Yankees. (We need a bullpen)

3. Allens LawnCare

Yeah I put down straw, The landscaper I used to work for Rolled all the lawns we did. Know that I'm on my own, I'd just like to know that I'm doing it the correct way!
    We need a new short stop and millar has to go...one thing thats great, " Yankee's fans can't scream 1918 anymore,......But there is always room for a " :cool2: YANKEES $UCK :cool2: " chant every now and then!" Thanks for your reply
    GO SOX

4. miltthemower

miltthemower LawnSite Member

Why did you guys roll the lawn after, I am interested in knowing?

See you RedSox in October!! :cool:

5. Allens LawnCare

We rolled the loam and new seed for two reasons, 1 keeps the loam from running in the rain, 2 keeps the seed in one place, wind and rain can't hurt it!