Rolling the lawn, 6000 lb

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by ztman, Oct 25, 2012.

1. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

Question to see if any one has ever done this. Have one large acreage lawn that has about a two acre area that is extremley bumpy. Almost like waves and small dips. I roll the lawn in the spring with a 1,000 roller behind an atv. Takes the frost heave down but really doesnt do anything for the wavy area. Was thinking about renting a 6,000 roller, then areating. Anyone ever do this before with such a heavy roller.

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

The problem is that you will end up compacting the soil.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. ztman

I would aerate after rolling. Think it would still be too compacted after aerating?

4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

6000 lbs, holy crap batman are you going to lay down a coat of asphalt!

5. Puttinggreens

Puttinggreens LawnSite Senior Member

A better long term solution is to aerate the crap out of it, then follow up with a drag mat. May take a few years. When dragging you will pull the lose soil off of the high spots and deposit it in the low ones. Definitely wont happen all at once but it does work over time.

As far as the frost heaves, they generally go down by themselves, no?

6. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

I use to live on a farm and the owner would use a 10ft and and over 10,000lbs roller to our lawn when he did his hay fields. It made it smooth ill tell you what.

7. ztman

8. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Nope, aerating won't do enough.

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

OK Batman I will comment. I don't know what type of soil you have but I have heavy clay. The type that dries out in the summer and cracks of 1" open in it. Conversely when it is wet it conforms well and there are people here who do have small rollers go over their lawn. The problem comes when it is too wet adn it is compacted or flattened too much. The root zone is the top 3" or so and rolling it will definately flatten it but it will compact it too. Can you overcome this with aeration? That depends on your soil and the time of year you are aerating. Aeration should be done when the lawn is actively growing to get the benefit. 3/4" cores are the standard here and it does work well if you do multiple pass aeration. If I were you I would experiment. Do a 50 x 50 section with the big roller and see what happens. Do another 50 x 50 section and aerate the hell out of it. There are many variables like soil condition, fertilization, watering and overall turf health that also should be considered.
    I would give it a try in small doses.

Better than laying asphalt on it now isn't it Batman!:laugh:

10. ztman

10-4 Mow Ed. Thanks for the input, never like the smell of asphalt anyway