Roof Gardens

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DeepGreenLawn, Jun 1, 2008.

1. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Someone mentioned the roof gardens on a previous thread. I figure the main concern for these are the load they will put on the roof itself, and drainage of water. Has anyone ever messed with this? I would think it would be a great area for organics with the whole less inputs needed, better water retention, etc. And it also keeps the heat down radiating of the roof tops. Therefor I believe that there are incentives for them as well.

2. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

roof gardens, veg gardens on a balcony, yes. roof top high rise penthouses,yes. let vines grow on roof(Hawaiian baby wood rose) yes. what gives, looking for a sod roof.

3. DeepGreenLawn

OK, not sure I exactly got what you said there, it has been a long day. I guess your saying you have dealt with the ones you mentioned but not a sod roof correct?

Is there anything you haven't done? How long have you been in business anyways?

4. treegal1

12 mango seasons, and it seems longer. WE WANT TO TRY A ROOF SOD GIG , just no $$$ in it yet???

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I was in an earth sheltered home and did not like it at all. I have been seriously thinking of building a superstructure framework so as to put a garden plot above the roof. One step at a time though. Grapevines for shade and a catwalk for picking is what I want to design first. We have sweet grapes here that grow quickly enough to cover the roof in 2 seasons.

6. treegal1

grapes = wine, axe you have a great idea!!!!

7. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Do not get involved with installing rooftop gardens without consulting a structural engineer. For existing buildings the engineer will determine if the structure can withstand the extra weight of the planting media when it is totally saturated. On a new building the roof structure would be designed to carry a heavier load than a conventional roof. Check out liveroof.com for engineering / design resources.

8. DeepGreenLawn

now this sounds like something that would be a lot of fun and interesting. From what I have seen in my research so far though it looks like there is a TON of prep work and I can't imagine what kind of equipment is needed to get the stuff on top. I doubt you'll be hiking it up the stairs or the people would want it in their elevator.

9. treegal1

we had to rip our roof off after the hurricanes so we got to work, six layers of hot tar and gravel, the light went on thats got to be real heavy, so we got smart and had a certified weight taken. we can now after the new roof system add at least 4300 lbs to the roof without going over the old roof weight. we have dabbled with a little hydroponics outdoors, the system that we had in the front yard was only about 450 lbs with the media? thats as far as w got into it

10. nadgnik

nadgnik LawnSite Member

If there are automatic sprinklers involved I would recommend signing a release stating that you are not responsible for any damages that may occur after installation is complete. Too many things can go wrong (and will go wrong eventually) and it will come back on you. Check your liability insurance for coverage and have a great lawyer.