1. npalomba

npalomba LawnSite Member

Has anyone ever been asked to include Roof Raking in a contract? Do you do this now?

2. Kevin T

Kevin T LawnSite Member

Why? I don't like to leave the warm cab, except to blow some snow or fill the tailgate spreader. Oh yeah....and to get another cup of coffee. I feel I make enough money doing what I do now and don't wanna put me or employees at anymore risk then is needed.

3. Kraco_1

Kraco_1 LawnSite Member

npalomba, yeah I've been asked a few times, it's just about always older people that want it done. There's a kid that does it in the area so I give him a call and let him take care of it. I've done my own house and it's not an easy job, if I had to charge someone for it myself I don't think they would pay me what I'd ask. lol. And this way after he gets it off the roof and it ends up in there drive, they call me back to plow again. Funny how that works out hey? lol......Kraco_1

4. MJ

MJ LawnSite Senior Member

nplomba - after our last 14" snow, I got more calls wanting roof raking than plowing. Problem is nobody around here does that except roofing companies and they're expensive. When I looked into adding roof raking, I found that I'd need additional insurance, additional equipment and that one of the problems with hiring people for that is that there is a lot of Workman's Comp claims. While working without the right equipment (ropes for anchoring etc) results in falling off the roof, some workers intentionally fall. Landing in a pile of snow helps cushion the fall and they can still claim an injury which will keep them from working "the rest of their life". So the cost of WC insurance is now high so you need to charge more to cover the cost. Then along comes some guy with a ladder and a shovel who'll do it for 1/2 of that and your just out. And remember, even if you do it without employees, you still need additional business insurance.

But your area might be different.

Mick

5. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

I am not leaving my dispatch office and Sopranos for no roof raking!

6. MJ, roof raking did'nt raise my insurance cost, may be a little, and your right, it needs to be careful, i use the belt and rope from tree working to work safely on steep roof.

[Edited by 4 Saisons on 02-18-2001 at 09:07 AM]

7. npalomba

npalomba LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the feedback; what I suggested to the person is that I could try to help them find someone in the area to do it as I am not willing to take on that in my business model. Thanks for all the feedback.

8. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Some of my guys would "tie themselves off" and end up hanging themselves.