Roof top sprinklers

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Sep 12, 2013.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Anyone install any fire prevention roof top sprinklers? A couple customers have asked me recently about it after two years of local forest fires (granted, today our state is flooding away from massive rains). I'm researching on the google machine, but want some real input from you all if you've done it. Would be a manual set up - either off the sprinkler mainline/manifold, or off the hose bibb, although our bibbs are usually off 1/2" line.

From a few I've seen online - brass impacts, mounted under the soffits at either end. Or somehow run pipes into attic and pop out thru the top, but I'd be worried about not making a tight water seal on the roof.

Thanks

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Back in the days of wood shingles, the Rain Jet company had a flat-trajectory full-circle head for roof sprinkler use.

3. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I wouldn't want any part of it. Could be liability issues plus the fire sprinkler guys are union.

4. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

What do to mean back in the day? I see them on 90% of the new houses being built
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

There is the threat of a potential lawsuit each time we get into the truck for work. Anyone can be sued at anytime for almost any reason, this is a last ditch attempt to save the building from burning to the ground with no implied warranty.
    So are most firemen, cops and teachers, what does being a union hand have to do with rooftop irrigation?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Wet_Boots

In California, I doubt it.

7. irritation

I would have to check with my insurance agent, but I doubt they have me insured to install fire sprinklers. As far as the union, I don't care to interfere.

8. Wet_Boots

I don't believe rooftop sprinklers are considered fire sprinklers.

9. irritation

The homeowner might disagree if that was their purpose.

10. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

That being said, could the homeowner also claim that the landscape irrigation was installed to maintain a fire safe buffer zone around the house?
    Posted via Mobile Device