Roofing Nails!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by goodbeus, Aug 6, 2002.

1. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

First job today, a residential account, the lady came out and told me she just had a new roof installed...so I'm thinking "great, how many nails will my mower find"...so I go over the property looking for any roofing nails, but that's kinda like finding a needle in a haystack...anyway, I didn't find any...I jump on the mower and go to work...halfway into it, I notice I've picked up 2 roofing nails on the left rear tire and 1 in the sulky tire (I was using a walk-behind)...ticked me off...anyway, finished mowing and that's all I picked up...plugged up the tires...My question is, what are some policies you guys would implement in a situation like this...it's not a pita account, it pays well and it's easy to do...i just hate the idea that some of these roofers don't care about where there trash goes and WE are the ones who find these nails... :angry:

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

an idea. dont know if u know what rare earth magnets are but they aint no ordinary magnetr. get u finger between two an u get a nice bloodblister.
    any way order the pack o 10 from the ebay outlet . these are about the size of a pencil an 8th inch thick. get some jb weld and glue a magnet to every other tine of a metal rake. just drag it along an the roofing nails will collect on it like crazy. i made one and it work perfect.
    u really wont understand until u see how strong the magnets are. good luck.

3. I charge the customer $40 a nail!!!!!

And trust me you "know" where and when you got them.

I had one we knocked on the door and explained to him what was going to happen and he went out and looked himslef.

Althought he did not like the $360 added to his bill.

I figure it this way, each tire costs more than most car tires, they should have enough brains to figure this out. If not I will enlighten them.

I had one guy ask can you just plug or patch them. I told him how many times can you do that to a tire. He had a blank look on his face. At $100 for a rear tire. how many plugs can you put in them?

Not many so it is well worth the added charge for both the time and trouble of plugging or replacing tires.

4. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I would relay to her that the roofer is leaving her open to legal issues (as well as themselves)

Say a child had walked across her yard (for any reason) n got a nail in their foot that her homeowners insurance might get a phone call

So instead of all this ....call to make sure the roofer comes out to drag the Roofers Magnet ... which any pro would have (should have done) before they left the job site

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Funny you say that. Last week I was on a lawn and noticed the ROLL of nails from a nail gun. AFTER I rolled over it. It was my day as all the nails were pointing into the ground. Otherwise it would have been like a police stop strip. I picked it up and shot it in the dumpster. No one around to yell at.
    Just got lucky for once.

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Some roofing nails are Galvanized steel. They like magnets. Some are Aluminum...Magnets dont like those!

Sloppy contractor work, plain and simple!

7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

What do you guys do about thorns, charge the customer also?

8. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

Sloppy contractor work? Typical contractor work!!!!!!!! Good luck.

jim

9. m&m

m&m LawnSite Member

another magnet that is good is an ole car speaker magnet.....used em when i used to shoe horses to pick up nails or if i spilled em.......have to be creative to make ya a rigamajig for it .......but they are strong

10. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Huh? I have not seen a thorn around here that would puncture a tire.

As for the question, I dropped a customer a few years ago for this reason. She was a $75 a week customer, she had the roof re-done and I got nails in my tires every week. After ruining 2 sets of tires and the roofer accepting no responsibility I said enough.

I would talk to the customer and see what they have to say, amke sure they understand you position and go from there.