Rooftop Gardens

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bryan Wilson, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Bryan Wilson

Bryan Wilson LawnSite Member

Does anyone have advice on rooftop lawn maintenance? I've landed a contract to maintain the beds ans lawns on a parkade rooftop garden located between two apartment towers.
    Should the lawn length be cut to normal height or longer to survive summer heat?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

rooftop? You mean actually on top of a building? That would be so cool to maintain, yet kind of hard

3. Bryan Wilson

Bryan Wilson LawnSite Member

YUP!! Roof top to a parkade.
    Approx 17000 sq. ft. lawn. All has to be cut with 21 in. walkbehinds.
    Has a double pond separated by a 3ft. drop waterfall. Total area sandwiched between two 20 floor apartment towers. The area has its own distinct microclimates and always quite windy as the towers funnel the winds.
    Just took over the contract. Hasn't been power raked or aerated in 5 years. Tons of moss & thatch.

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I have seen those. About how much will you be making per man hour on that cytastrophe?

5. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

Bryan,

I maintain a similar property, a little more grass and it is between 3 apartment towers. It is all built on top of a parkade and commercial strip of stores. The area is irrigated. I find that the lawn requires more fertilizer. When the sprinklers were turned off during the watering ban parts dried up almost instantly (2-3 days), with the sprinklers on though it grows great. The ground is always warmer, the grass almost doesn't slow down and go dormant in the winter. With the possibility of a watering ban we cut ours a little higher at 2.5" or so almost year round. It is unfortunate that you can only use 21's, the lines left must be pretty perfect, as you go up in the building the lines become more noticeable if they are crooked. I use a 52" lazer and the difference between our cut and the last company that used 21's is unbelievable when viewed from above.

Scott