Rookie Here

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by TexasFire221, Nov 3, 2008.

1. TexasFire221

TexasFire221 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I have a lawn customer that wants a flagstone patio and I dont really know where to start. Can someone give me some direction. Maybe a book or something. I dont even know how to begin on pricing. Its going to be about 12ft by 30 ft. It's probably about a ft higher from one side to the other by the eyeball. Didnt shoot it. I dont really know about run off. Can someone guide me?

2. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

Get a laser level if you want to continue in the business. I would suggest going with a good name brand and not something from lowes. Probably cost you $1000 to $1500 for a new one. Maybe less. Also Dig it out a few (6"+/-) inches. Put in the amount of crushed stone and tamp with a gas powered tamp. You should have your flagstone height subtracted from your depth of excavation so you know how much stone to put in. Lay the pattern and fill with stone dust. This is how we have done them

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Fisrt question is do they want a dryset flagstone patio or a patio with flagstone mortared to concrete??

Because really, this thread can't go any further until we know, as dryset and mortared are 2 different worlds.

Honestly, if you have no clue where to start, I respectfully advise that you either sub it out or walk away.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  4. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

If your " don't know where to start " and nothing wrong with that because i don't do brain surgery either don't try it. You can't take every ones advise here and go out and start the job and return the next day after someone here posted step # 2. If you want to get in to this game go to block or paver manuf. or dealers and ask about training seminars. I have over 300 walls completed and this was the first year i did a paver job. It was for my self and learned from my mistakes and didnt get sued.
    mike

5. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

Flagstone is easy to work with but dont rush, an get some polymeric sand , have fun george

landscaping pics 019.jpg

landscaping pics 017.jpg

landscaping pics 018.jpg

landscaping pics 016.jpg

landscaping pics 021.jpg

6. Matt k

Matt k LawnSite Member

OMG!!!!!!! I can't say anything else, but Holy wide joints Batman!

7. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL!! Yeah man, keep 'em under 1".

8. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

I like my joints the way they are ,like see some you have done

9. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

yeah, the joints are way too wide

10. btammo

btammo LawnSite Member

I personally try not to use the small stones. There is no way they are going to stay in place with sand joints. But this is not the thread......

Dude, dont do it. Try it at your own house first or something. Stonework is in another league. You cant just put stone down and have it look good. Unless you have a natural stone talent to do it right off the bat. maybe you work with someone you network with who has experience with this and work along with them on it or something.