Rookie install question: Connecting to galvanized mainline?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by OKSooner, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

the Ford (or Mueller or MacDonald) waterworks compression tee is a good thing to have anyway

2. OKSooner

OKSooner LawnSite Member

How 'bout pex?

3. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

i don't mess with galvy pipe.

4. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

You need to replace that waterline first, i can't believe you got 80 year's out of it. That older galvanized had thicker wall's or it would have failed before now. That will be a good learning experience and it need's to be done, it's not that big of a deal. Forget Pex for a mainline, that stuff is meant to go inside wall's, it can't take being buried. You need to use copper or that black plastic tubing that plumber's use. Use something that can take a rock next to it. Your state's plumbing code will be more specific.

5. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

I agree with the others, replace the water line. While your at it, re-plumb the house. If the service line is galvanized, the house plumbing probably is to and by now the ID on it is probably 1/4" or less. You replace all that crap and you'll be amazed at the improved flow rates and pressure in the house.

6. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Nothing wrong with pex......

7. cjohn2000

cjohn2000 LawnSite Senior Member

Just my experience. We installed a system at a house built in WWII and tied into the original 3/4" galv. water line. The most important part to tying into galv. is to file / chip the outside and find a nice true area to cut out to put a compression tee onto and not disturb any threaded joint on the line. In our city code requires brass from the tie in to the main shutoff. I personally wont settle for anything less than a curbstop. As far as "that black pipe" we usually do hydrant tees, but I have done compression tees with stiffeners, and i'm not talking about those cheap 3/4" x 1" tees they sell at Ewing, I use either Ford or Mcdonald MIPT x compression and you can get them for copper tubing, HDPE, etc.