Rookie just Starting

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by precision72, Jan 13, 2008.

1. precision72

precision72 LawnSite Member

Looking to purchase a zero turn mower - Scag Tiger Cub with Briggs ELS 26hp engine. I need feedback before I spend $6500.00.
    I also want feedback on a blower and weed eater.
  2. jasdebcr

jasdebcr LawnSite Member

just starting? and spending 6500? how many account do you have? one big hint. pay cash!!!!! do not borrow money for a mower. if need start out with a 1500.00 mower. ware it out making the money to pay cash for bigger and better. customers may not stay with you even if you have a contract.
  3. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy small or a big used one. Thats a big outlay for a new guy but we don't know your current financial situation. Buy for cash is always the best advice you'll get when starting out.
  4. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

Hey, you can get a Bad Boy ZT with a 26hp Briggs motor for $4495. $6500 is alot for the cheapest motor out right now, and that is not even a commercial mower! I don't know about the whole used deal, with the way financing is today you can buy a mower for around $130 to $180 a month with 0 down for 36 to 48 months and have a brand new machine with warranty. For $6500 I would recommend a Bad Boy Pup with a 30hp kohler and a 52inch deck. It is a full blown commercial machine with a 3000 hour life expentancy, 5 guage steel deck with electric lift, 7 guage throughout mower, etc. The Scag you are looking at has a 1200 hour life span!
  5. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

stay away from briggs look for kawis
  6. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

The Scag is a nice mower, but you can get alot more mower for $6500 if you look elsewhere (like Bad Boy). The Pup holds almost twice the fuel the Tiger Cub holds, has a stronger frame, better accessibility, and has much better engine options ($350 more will land you a Pup with a 31hp Kawasaki!!). The Briggs ELS is what, a 1200hr engine? I know I would rather have a 30+ hp Kohler or Kawasaki over a B&S ELS. Again, it's good for what it is, but why not invest in a mower that will last you alot longer?

check out if you wanna read up on them (or run a search on here).
  7. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I am fairly new to this myself and I have also been looking into a ZTR. I dont mind finacing one because I have a brand new trimmer, bp blower, and trailer and dont owe anything.
    I was originally looking at the same scag mower but I have since been leaning toward the Ferris IS1500. It is the cheapest ztr rider around here and they have pretty good reputations.
    I know the feeling lol! Hard to choose which one.....
  8. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Shoot, I dunno about the Ferris. It holds 6 gallons of fuel, has aluminum spindles (Bad Boy and Scag have cast-iron spindles), though the engine specs are decent. I would personally take a Scag over a Ferris, if you have a good dealer near you, but I would take a Bad Boy over either. :drinkup:
  9. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

10. landvet

landvet LawnSite Member

Your setting yourself up if you don't first look into whether you can actually afford it. You haven't answered the question of "how many accounts do you have?" At the very least, total your sales for a week, multiply it by 4 for a month, and then see if you can afford the monthly payment along with your truck, insurance, fuel,etc... Don't start out massively in debt. Not trying to be negative, It's just smarter to start off spending a little more conservatively. If you got the cash then go for it, or if a family member is willing to give you a low or no- interest loan. Good luck!