1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rookie Mistake

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by True Harbor, May 28, 2006.

1. True Harbor

True Harbor LawnSite Member

I told my friend I'd do him a favor and only charge him per cut. I told him this is for you only and not to tell his neighbors. He's going around and telling him I cut for cheap etc. Think he got hit to many times playing football even though hes a nice guy. So I price one of his neighbors today and tell her 125 per month. She says great sounds awesome when can you start etc. She calls him complaining that its outrageous and on top of it she said price was no object like shes loaded which she is. So my friend calls me and says he doesn't like having disgruntled neighbors to give him a call in the morning so we can discuss it. I should have listened to the threads about not working for friends or neighbors. But when you do a favor for a friend they should get a clue when you tell them something. :hammerhead: :dizzy: :cry: :confused:
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This brings up a FEW things actually, and working for friends and neighbors isn't exactly one of them. First, if you are doing it for a friend, you charge him an adequate price...regardless. You can cut him a litle break, sure...but if he wants to abuse that by using it for bragging rights - making you look cheap, then guess what? He would be getting a brand new message saying that I can't do it anymore for that price. I have bills to pay, too. Now, if he's NOT discussing price, and just saying you're cheap as a thing to help you out (like reasonable), then that is something different.
    Second, you say She say. "Great. Sounds awesome." but then she is complaining about the price. Ok, taking into consideration that many people who are "loaded" DO complain about price, something doesn't add up here. First, who are you hearing this from? Your "friend"? It is second hand, and coming from someone as you describe, I would take it with a grain of salt.
    Thirdly, when you have this "discussion", you can freely tell him that 1. She has no reason to be "disgruntled"...she was quoted a fair price and agreed to it. 2. He has NO business discussing YOUR business with ANYone about what prices are set where.
    Play his game, and just tell him "Yeah, you're right I should be more fair to her. It just isnt fair that I am charging her the going rate when her neighbor is bragging that he is paying so much less. So, we'll have to raise your price up to standards, so it's straight across the board. It's only fair..after all, we don't want you to have disgruntled neighbors."
    Also, you may just MAY want to contact her and ask if everything is alright. And if she's happy with the service. Do NOT ask if she thinks the price is to high (as tempting as that may be). Play it toward the SERVICE end of the stick...the price is already set.
  3. True Harbor

True Harbor LawnSite Member

I'm hearing it from my friend. I agreed on a price with her and she said great sounds good etc. Then a couple of hours later she called him complaining about the price so then he calls me and said I thought the point of you cutting hers was to give her a great price. Sorry if it doesn't add up but hes getting a better deal than most reliable quality services would give him and its only for him which he doesn't understand. I explained it to him in the beginning so I didn't it would be a problem it just reminds me of some threads on here about working for friends even though its usually isn't a problem. :hammerhead:
  4. Mrk'sLawn

Mrk'sLawn LawnSite Member

I don't do any family but I do my Dads neighbor. Big mistake. She always wants something for nothing. Can you see me before you leave please I need to talk to you real quick.. Carry out some bags for her or something to that effect.. I feel like I have to because she is friendly with my Dad.. Never again..:dizzy: About people with money being cheap.. That is another story. What is that saying.. The longer the drive way the lesser the tip.. Most of my best customers are working class like myself. Seems to me that people with money never want to part with it..
  5. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

If I was to do work for a friend, he would have to pay the same as anyone else, no breaks. They know this and they know that business is business and friendship is friendship.
  6. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Your "friend" is is like the guy who found a vein of gold right at the surface for the taking and then went out and told everyone. Raise the price on him 30% over par. They always said it is impossible to do someone a favor in business.