Rookie mistakes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zechstoker, Jul 5, 2012.

1. zechstoker

zechstoker LawnSite Senior Member

Today was one of those days where I did something so dumb that it cost me 2 hours of my time, and made an @$$ of myself at the dealership.

I got to my first account this morning, grabbed the line trimmer, started it up, and the spindle fell off soon as it started spinning. Not sure how it came loose in the first place, but whatever. I picked it up along with the plate that fell off with it, put it back together, fired it up, and now it wouldn't spin. Unsure of what the deal was (bluntly, I'm no mechanic by any means), I took it down to the dealership at least 45 minutes away. I brought it in, told the guy behind the counter what had happened... He took one quick look at it, and said "you put the plate back on upside down." Good Jesus... I went all the way down there, and that was the only problem? Frick... Just put a dunce hat on me, and send me on my way.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. chuacro

chuacro LawnSite Senior Member

been there and done it.
  3. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Took my chain saw in one time, which I hadn't used in at least a couple of years, thinking the clutch was frozen up. Turned out somebody had been messing with it, and had the anti-kickback chain brake in the lock position. Man, did I feel stupid! :)
  4. Antiskell

Antiskell LawnSite Member

Ehhh it happens, i couldnt figure out the new echo trimmer heads and the damn speed feed thing.....i ripped it apart...oops

Anyway, i replaced the speed feeds with the old style, i know how much line i have that way.....and can put on a lot more!
  5. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

True but once you have experience you will also have real problems lol
  6. zechstoker

zechstoker LawnSite Senior Member

I forgot to mention I was still hung over from last night too. That probably didn't help my situation any either. :laugh:
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. Antiskell

Antiskell LawnSite Member

Ehhh dont drink to hard to be hung over
  8. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

I am constantly get angry at my trimmer for not starting, I pull pull pull and then realize I have the switch in the STOP position....
  9. stonebridge

stonebridge LawnSite Senior Member

that is the worst, but at least its all primed up and starts on the first pull when you put it on the ON position
  10. Dave does lawns

Dave does lawns LawnSite Senior Member

:laugh: I do this almost daily.