Rookie mistakes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zechstoker, Jul 5, 2012.

1. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

OK rookies. The first thing to remember is to ALWAYS turn the power switch to the "ON" position BEFORE you try to start the engine. :D That or buy trimmers with a kill switch that springs back so it's always in the on position.

2. tibetbutlersm

tibetbutlersm LawnSite Member

New to the forum and this was the first topic I opened. Its funny that I have been doing this for almost 10 years now and every time I have to jump off of the mower to help with weed trimming I do the same thing every time I told myself today that I had to be the only dumb *** to make a rookie mistake like this. Thank you for making me wrong :D

3. TNGrassCutter

TNGrassCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Or when you go to grab a trimmer off the rack first thing in the morning and its still locked, and I'm there shaking and yanking and it won't come off.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. zechstoker

zechstoker LawnSite Senior Member

I've been guilty of that on more than one occasion. Haha
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Shawn S

Shawn S LawnSite Member

Is that before or after you roll out of bed?

6. pseudosun

pseudosun LawnSite Bronze Member

Sometimes when i'm aware of people in the windows of their homes and i realize that i've been pulling with the switch off, i pretend to do something clever to fix the problem, like fiddle with the fuel line or adjust something. During a very stressful time when i had equipment in storage, i drove to my first job with no equipment. Now that probably looked really silly to the people in the window. I think i may have walked the front yard to pretend to make a decision about cutting it:)

7. Blades Lawn Maintenance

Blades Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Baton Rouge, La

That's funny :laugh::laugh: I have done that before lol

8. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

LOL, whenever make stupid mistakes like forgetting to turn the trimmer on, I always take the air cleaner off and fiddle with something so I don't look so stupid.

One of the new guys was cranking on the trimmer right after I gave him the 10 minute "talk." watched him until I was concerned about the trimmer's safety, then I casually walked over and flipped the switch on.

9. mwservice's

mwservice's LawnSite Member

Yeah it took me awhile to figure out the new speed feed. But once i got
    it man! those things are nice.

10. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

One time I worked for about 20 minutes trying to screw in the bolt holding the blade on a new stick edger. I finally realized that the bolt was "left handed" and I was turning it the wrong way. :hammerhead: