1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rookie mistakes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zechstoker, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

We've all done silly things I suppose.
    I took my trimmer in more than once when it wouldn't start, turns out it has to be in the "ON" position to run.:hammerhead:
    Also, called the local shop when a Z I borrowed from them quit running at an account.
    Turns out they run a lot better with fuel.:hammerhead:

The lesson is, slow down and assess the situation.
    Every time I've done something silly, I was in tornado mode.
  2. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

Every forget your trailer is behind you and cut the turn too tight? OR find your self turning like a big-rig driver even after you've dropped your trailer? Guilty.

3. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

All that huffing gas in the morning will do that....lol
  4. zechstoker

zechstoker LawnSite Senior Member

Lmao... I was waiting for someone to bring that up in this thread. Lol
    I suppose I could've added that incident here instead of starting that other thread a couple weeks ago. :)
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Sometimes when back my personal truck into my drive at the end of the day, I'll turn opposite and end up in my neighbor's driveway across the street.
  6. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

our first scag mower many years ago, I used for about two weeks and then it started to sputter and stumble and the engine wouldn't run smoothly....

I marched down to the dealership with a chip on my shoulder about what a crappy POS this mower was....
    the owner took me over to the mower and patted me on the head and proceeded to take the cover off the air cleaner...totally clogged with trash...

I limped away, felt like an a-hole...lesson learned-
  7. pseudosun

pseudosun LawnSite Bronze Member

I made the mistake of eating a couple of chocolate fiber bars after my eggs for breakfast. Now, i have to decide if i should try to finish the job pinching my cheeks, or go home. Or .... go in a patch of woods and handle business, which i've done.
  8. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Brought my Echo Shredder Vac into the shop because it wouldn't fire at all. It was running fine and just died. 10 seconds after handing it to him the guys fires it up. The intake cover, which has a safety switch on it, came loose. The sad part is that it had happened to me a few times before and I knew it was an issue, but I don't use it often so I guess I just forgot.
  9. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Man can I beat all of you guys by a long shot. On tuesday I notched out the wrong tree in a high end lawn. White pine, nice tree too. The dead one was right next to it. I screwed the notch back into the tree. We'll see how it goes...
  10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

OMFG! That's not good, lol.