Rookie Question...Changing/Sharpening Blades

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by ToddS, Mar 27, 2004.

1. ToddS

ToddS LawnSite Member

I own a 36' SCAG WB and need to sharpen the blades. My question is, is it O.K to just put the mower on the side to take the blades off to sharpen? I know this is a stupid question, but I don't know of any other way of accomplishing this. Will this "hurt" the mower? Thanks and sorry for the "dumb" question.

Todd

2. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

there is no need to turn it on its side... just tilt it back, unbolt the blades, sharpen them, and rebolt them. Do it every 10 hrs or so. Make sure to use a torque wrench so it gets back to where it should be.

3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

And remember to put something under the mower/deck to keep it up and from falling. If the mower came back down it would ruin your day.....
    DP:rolleyes:

4. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

use a floor jack and some concrete blocks to brace the mower so it doesn't move. you'd have quite a headache if that thing came down on ya

5. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Buy an second and third set of blades , have them sharpened before hand , when its time just swap them out. I would lean the machine back and throw a jack stand under it. Grease the machine at the same time.