Rookie question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tocs93, Apr 9, 2005.

1. tocs93

tocs93 LawnSite Member

This is my first year offering lawn treatment applications and I am using Lesco products and equipment. I noticed that some people have had trouble with their Lesco spreaders throwing too much material to the right side. I noticed during my first day of applications that the spreader was in fact throwing more material to the right at almost a 9:00 to the left and 4:00 to the right. I overlap my passes to the outside tire. Is my first app. going to stripe because of the pattern problem? And will closing the 3rd hole slightly fix my problem with throwing more material to the right? Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions!

2. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, it will cause you probelms and yes it can stripe. Depends on many things. Do a search on calibration. Get the trays and do it right. Then you won't have to worry.

EG

3. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

But EG, can today's Lesco spreaders be dialed in to eliminate that heavy near right throw? A buddy and I spent almost a day 5 or 6 years ago trying to work around that bug-a-boo. We gave up, he dumped the Lesco, and he just went with Spykers since.

4. Enviro Green

Ah, you know the answer to that one.

I use spykers too.

I do use the lesco for lime and I do two passes, one up and one back in the same pass and then move 15 feet, that way, I do get an even spread, and with lime, it is ok.

But for fert, I don't use it.

Guess that's enough said. However, I think it is odd that SO MANY people use the lesco's everyday.....Can you explain that? I have my spyker's calibrated to within 7% variation on L to R from edge to edge, and do see a spike in the middle of the RH, but not enough to stripe.

What about yours?

EG

5. tocs93

tocs93 LawnSite Member

Now I'm gonna be a nervous wreck waiting to see if I striped these lawns. Do you think Dimension 19-0-6 will really have that much of an effect on the first app. being that the nitrogen is fairly low? I also don't understand why so many Lesco spreaders are used and why they havn't corrected this problem. I told the guy at my service center I thought it was throwing heavy to the right and he said he had never heard of that!

6. GroundKprs

Don't have pics of my Spyker spread handy. I use a 28-22 with the old style straight vane impeller. Get a nice even 8' spread. Since I do mostly smaller urban sites, I don't care for the increased spread of the curved vane impellers. Hope I can find some more of the old impellers; my last one is about half worn through.

Here is spread on Bob's 58-22; effective spread width 10':

[​IMG]

And Tom's 28-22, effective width 16':

[​IMG]

Both spreaders are same wheel size, gearing, impellers and flow control mechanics. But the 58-22 is a 60% wider pattern. Must be the difference in the hopper shape that allows faster flow in the 28-22.

For anyone who wants to see the trays and calibration that EG refers to above, see spreader calibration.

7. GroundKprs

Almost forgot, when doing a Lesco this way, the second and third tubes on the right (2 to 3 feet right of center) were over 50% higher than the center tube. That is where the heavy right throw of the Lesco comes in.

You'll probably not see streaking in lawns with good soil. But you definitely will if you have poor soil or a lawn has not had a good fertilization program in the past.

8. Enviro Green

Jim,

Here's one I wonder about. After the clibration, when you are spreading, do you throw to the center of your tracks or to the nearest wheel track or the wheel track fartherst away, and why?

I have heard all three answers, and I would like to know what you think.

THanks,

EG

9. MIDWEST25

MIDWEST25 LawnSite Member

throw to the first tire track!That will help with even color and growth.Thousands of lawns are treated daily here with them and the only striped lawns I see are done with drop spreaders by homeowners.You guys should try the shoulder type.They are the easiest to give a real nice application with.Especially on hills.You can also increase or decrease flow rate on the fly.Saves time and that always means better drops to the bottom.

10. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

I found the same issue with Lesco spreaders. I ended up laying out a huge piece of plastic and using a light sand spent two days on fixing the problem with the heavy right side unload. We ended up closing up one of the holes and drilling another locating towards the left rear to even it up. Works well now and within about 5% difference across the board.

I gave Lesco the info two years ago. I don't know why they never did anything about it.