Rookie question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Norm3333, May 11, 2011.

1. Norm3333

Norm3333 LawnSite Member

I have spent a lot of time reading the great posts on this forum and learned a lot. Unfortunately, I haven't found an answer to my question. I am making the leap into residential lawn cutting (~ 1 acre) and need advice on mower. If you experts were starting out, what mower would you buy for yards ~ 1 acre? Reliability is a more important factor than price. And, do you recommend new or used?

2. JTlawns2

JTlawns2 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

How much are you looking to spend?

3. xclusive

xclusive LawnSite Bronze Member

If you could find a used exmark turf tracer in good shape or just buy a new one if you have the money.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Norm3333

Norm3333 LawnSite Member

Looking to spend <$5000

5. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

might wanna look into a hustler fast trak super duty...they are in the $5k-$6k range...they are like an entry level commercial ztr mower

6. Norm3333

Norm3333 LawnSite Member

Thank you very much, I appreciate the advice.

7. jasoncreel

jasoncreel LawnSite Member

I would look for a hustler as well. Personally, I think you could get a slightly used hustler z for less than a new hustler fastrack super duty. It would be faster and more powerful. I started with a 44" in hustler mini z and loved it. It just did fit inside 4 ft gates on privacy fences.

8. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

What ever you get, get a 44" deck. And remember a walk behind will cut ever yard a zero turn want.

9. pwaltrip

pwaltrip LawnSite Member

I would look for a 32" walk behind, used. For a few reasons: I like 32" mowers because you can fit them through backyard gates and lots of other places bigger walks and zeros can't fit. If your only looking into mowing
    +/- 1 acre, then thats not that bad. I would say find a clean used one first, because they are cheaper and it I would use it until I, 1. decided I need a bigger mower to cover more ground quicker 2. got tired of walking that much 3. made enough money off of it to afford a really nice reliable new with warranty zero turn or larger walk behind. Also, even with riding mowers I always still needed my 32" everyday. As far as brand goes, I always ran toro and 1 snapper walk. They worked just fine.

Thats my .02

pwaltrip

10. zo6

zo6 LawnSite Senior Member

bobcat bobcat bobcat, probably a 52 would be perfect, 48 is to small, and 32 is just ridiculous, i would go with a new one, but the right deal on a used one could always come along...