Rookie Sprayer questions

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ol' Brad, Feb 27, 2005.

1. ol' Brad

ol' Brad LawnSite Member

I was looking at various sprayers and was considering the Lesco space saver (200g) for a starter rig. I intend to do primarily lawn herbicide/insecticide/and some liquid fertilization as necessary.

However, I am concerned that I may need to set up a seperate tank and sprayer for herbicide usage to prevent phyto-toxicitity problems. Without buying two sprayers...(which I will eventually do), any suggestions.

I will probably use backpack sprayer for smaller jobs but curious as to what others are doing?? :help:

2. slow release

slow release LawnSite Member

Most Herbicides can be mixed with insecticdes and fertilizers. Be sure to do a jar test first to make sure they are compatible. The information you need will be provided on the label and/or MSDS sheets. I would not recommend mixing up any Round Up or other non-selective herbicides in your dedicated lawn spray tank, however. You can buy neutralizing agents to run thru your tank and plumbing to flush it out when switching mixes.

3. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

4. airtractrdrivr

airtractrdrivr LawnSite Member

I think what he is concerned about is running herbicides and insecticides through one rig without killing someone's lawn with herbicide residue. I dont think he means mixing them together.

Right now, I am running one rig for both insecticides and herbicides. I have had no problems at all with this, except for the down time needed to neutralize my rig before switching from herbicide to insecticide. If you run much 2,4D, you will need to let your neutralizer set in your rig for a length of time. I let mine set overnight. Chemical will penetrate all your rubber seals and hose, and it takes a little while for the neutralizer to get all that out. I use Neutra-Sol, and it's the best I've found. rinse your rig out, mix it up as per label instructions, and circulate it for the recommended amount of time, then shut it off and let it set. If you just take time to rinse out and neutralize good, you will be fine.

5. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Do a google search to start,look for a two compartment sprayer! You could call demco sprayers in kansas, they coul'd build you one for short money!

6. tjgray

tjgray LawnSite Senior Member

We worked all last year with only one rig and yes you just have to take time and care to neutralize :)

As we have started to do more and more big commercial properties the need for two has became greater so this year we added the second. Now if we can only get that perma green we will be in good shape :D

7. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

The only time I can see this even being an issue is if you're going to spray things other than lawns (like landscape plants). If you're just doing lawns, what difference does it make if you have a tiny amount of residual herbicide when you spray insecticide or fert? That tiny amount which will be greatly diluted when you refill tank with water will not affect the lawns at all. Doubtful it would even affect any weeds in the lawn. You did not mention if you would be spraying plants other than lawns. If just doing lawns, I wouldn't sweat it.

8. ol' Brad

ol' Brad LawnSite Member

Thanks for the suggesstions. I was aware about neutralizers and thier use but was more concerned if others actually used only 1 tank. As for the one individuals response, maybe I did not word that properly but I see others saw what my thoughts were.

I appreciate you comments. This site is really beneficial to individuals, particularly us new to the industry. I have the technical knowledge but not the "hands on experience" of you pros.....Thanks

9. tjgray

tjgray LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't even really think about if ol Brad was doing ornamentals or not *we do* and you are absolutely right turfsurfer :)

10. ol' Brad

ol' Brad LawnSite Member

I may spray some landscapes and spider barriers. Would not take much of a phenoxy residue to mess up a tree/shrub.

I will probably avoid that until I can get better established