Rookie with a question for the veterans...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by flakebortch, Nov 19, 2007.

1. flakebortch

flakebortch LawnSite Member

I asked this in the beginner forum, but I didn't get much (or relevent) response so I'll throw it to you, the battle hardened. I have noticed a few lawns over the years that I think are outstanding simply because they are mowed, I assume, with a mower equiped with a striping kit. I think these lawns look as sharp as hell. What do you guys think? Do your customers want this feature (not that they would pay more, but as a general advertisement for your business)? Do these lawns look cheesy (or other adjective) to you? Why don't more lawn care co's put out a comparitivly small amount of loot for such a big effect? I'm looking to buy my first commercial mower, and I'm wondering if I should throw in the striping kit as well.

2. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Striping kits work well our Toros dont really need them thou. Research and demo some mowers before you buy.

3. blowerboy

blowerboy LawnSite Member

i HAVE A FEW CUSTUMEERS THAT HATE STRIPES, QUITE FRANKLY IM NOT A HUGE FAN EITHER. I JUST BRING MY WALKBEHIND BLOWER WITH ME AND DO A 1 MIN ON THE THING TO CLEAR ALL THE STRIPES, IT MEKES IT LOOK A LITTLE BIT EVEN. U DONT HAVE TO USE A WALKBEHIND BLOWER A BP IS FINE TOO, I USW THAT EVERYDAY.

4. advantage landscaping

advantage landscaping LawnSite Member

People will debate whether or not striping a lawn can get you more money. I say yess but, it's irrelevant.

If you want a lawn to look great, stripe it. Striping a lawn works to cover up spots of imperfection too, and when a homeowner sees instant gratification so to speak, they like it.

Now depending on what you're cutting, most machines don't need a kit. I have seen most of the major brands with and without them, and both ways, they look damn good. You can buy the striping kit afterward.

Why do people not care and not buy them? Some people just don't care what the grass looks like, they are in this biz for the money and the money only. If you have a passion for landscaping then you take the time, and even the few hundred dollars if you really even need the kit, and make the property look as good as possible. That's what I do, but this biz is not all the same. There is a reason many employers pay illegal mexicans to do crappy work - money. However, it is my experience that people who do this do not have their heart in landscaping. If you do, you care how your work looks and work to make it the best it can be each time.

5. J&T Kiev

J&T Kiev LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.W In.

My mower's stripe perfectly with nothing more than the cutter deck pitch setup up correctly.

6. GreenNation

GreenNation LawnSite Member

What is the optimal setup concerning deck pitch to get good striping without a striping roller?
    Thanks!

7. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

I belive its supposed to be something like 1.8 or 1/4 inch higher in in front, but i might have that backwards...
    If you do it likt that, your cutting the blade of grass twice (in theory) so your doubling the effects of mowing on the turf.

8. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

I pitch my 21" forward for better stripes...but I'm cutting crappy grass with an 81" Snapper. Scag's website has a lot of info on striping, it explains the basic theory and guides you how to start with simple stripes.

9. broken leg

broken leg LawnSite Senior Member

I live in Hillsborough NC and grew up out Lawnedale in Greensboro If you offer it to your customer they will not want to pay extra for it. you are better off doing a net clean cut. spend your extra energy on taking a trimer and cutting a clean sharp edge will make a yard stand out. Doing ball field strips and doing them right and different every week is not as easy as it looks. It is a true art and customers watching there budget you understand what I am saying.

10. J&T Kiev

J&T Kiev LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.W In.

Most mowers-- 1/8 to 1/4 inch lower in the front of the cutter-then the back.
    My Toro's stripe ( Bluegrass and other easy to stripe cool season grasses) very well at just over a 1/4. My 48 Exmark Lazer Z HP leaves very defined stripes at between 1/8 and 1/4.