Rookie with trailer questions...

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Fireman4949, May 25, 2005.

1. Fireman4949

Fireman4949 LawnSite Member

Hey there everyone! :waving:

I'm new to this site as of today. Looks like a great place for info!

Here's my first question(s) for you experts...

I'm just starting a lawn care service. I have a 52" Scag Turf Tiger and a 36" Scag walk behind as well as a bunch of Echo equipment. I am looking at buying an enclosed trailer, probably 7'x16'.
    Is there a big difference in quality between the manufacturers like Pace, Horton, and Well's Cargo? Is there really a $1500-$2000 quality difference between them?

What about the difference between leaf springs and torsion axles? Are torsion axles something I should absolutely get, or will leaf springs work well enough?

This is a "second" job for me. I plan on only 10-15 accounts max to keep me busy on my off days from the fire department.

I'm currently looking at a used 2004 7'x16' vee nose Horton Hauler, 15" wheels and leaf springs for around $4k. Good deal, or too much $?

Thanks for any help you can give a rookie!
    Kevin :D

2. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Yes there is a difference in quality, Look at what each manufacter offers as a warranty!!

I dunno what a Horton enclosed trailer is (not in my area)

Wells Cargo is really good stuff. They expect a usuable life (everday) of 15 yrs.

Cheaper trailers would probably do you fine, but when it comes to resale you will make out like a bandit

3. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

My Well Cargo is over 10 yrs old and still going.

4. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

if u only plan to cut 10-15 lawns w/that medium size setup, why such a big trailer? all you need is an 12' trailer.... they sell for about $1k-$1,500....

5. Fireman4949

I have learned over the years, that it is better to be prepared, than not. I may eventually get another rider or some other equipment and I want to be able to carry what I need now, as well as what I may need later without having to up-size my trailer in a year or two.

I am not concerned about the weight of a larger trailer...I have a 1-ton Silverado crew cab with a Duramax/Allison. I'm pretty well covered there! :laugh:

My concerns were which type of axles to get and quality differences between trailer manufacturers.

6. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

Good point Kevin. Seems like we all tend to but what we need now...not what we will need next year.
    I have an H&H enclosed 16' trailer which is nice and a Continental Belton Victory Lane 18' enclosed trailer. Both are nice.
    Personal preference.....get what you like and from a good reliable dealer.
    What a way to advertise too!!!!!!!
    The sides and rear of my 18' trailer have my logo in a 5' x 5' area which you can read a block away!!!!

7. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

all i needed was a 14footer, however today I bought a 20footer. That way I can put EVERYTHING in it, and when im landscaping I wont have to keep going from the shop and back... I can put it all in the trailer and be able to stay there all day working. Now I can put my powerwasher, latters, piping, etc in there and when I need it I wont have to go back home to grab it :) I love it.

8. Fireman4949

What type axles and what size tires are on your trailers?

Is there anything you would do differently if you bought another trailer?

Thanks for the help!

9. Fireman4949

...Bump!...

Anyone else?!

10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Wells cargo is the only choice. I got mine used and its 6 years old. They hold their value. I any only going to buy Wells cargo from now on. They are built way heavier than any other enclosed trailer. The were the first to build enclosed trailers. and are the best of the best.

Spend the money on a wells cargo. It will be well worth it.