1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Hacksquat, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Hacksquat

Hacksquat LawnSite Member

Hey all,
    Like many, I'm starting a lawn care business. It's going to be a one man operation. I'm a cop, but want to have a small lawn care business on the side. I've always worked extra jobs. I've driven dump trucks, big trucks, school buses, off duty security jobs, etc, and etc. It helps to provide the extra things in life that my salary doesn't provide.
    I have a craftsman 17hp 42" riding mower, craftsman weedeater, and a stihl backpack blower. I don't have a trailer. I'm currently loading my mower in the back of my truck. I have two "accounts" at this time. One is approximately 2 acres, and the other is about 1/2 acre.
    I'm going to purchase over the winter: 1.) A 6.5 x 12 landscaping trailer 2.) A 21" push mower with bag attachment 3.) A Stihl weed trimmer, and edger. I'm saving my money, and hope to pay cash for the above items.
    I plan to acquire more accounts in the spring. I'm looking to mow large to mid size residential yards, and some commercial accounts. I have two small accounts lined up for this spring as well.
    I want to purchase a commercial mower this spring. I've looked at several zero turn mowers. I've focused on those with 60" decks due to the (1) two acre account that I have already. I like the John Deere 777 with 60" deck, Kubota ZG23 (has a 54" deck), and the Exmark Lazer Z 23 hp command pro with 60" deck. I know with the accounts that I have now that I could make the payment on the mower with no problem. Should I start out with something this big, and costly?
    I've looked at several finance options. But, I'm curious. Has anyone used a small business loan to purchase a mower? If so, what kind of limits, and terms applied?
    I appreciate any ideas, and I'm sure I'll think of more questions later.
  2. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

As far as the mower goes, I would stay with the Craftsman for now since you only have 2 accounts as it does the job and I assume it's already paid for, but as you build up then start looking into something else....As far as the rest goes, sounds like you are on the right track. Good luck and welcom to LS.
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I agree with EastPro.
  4. Hacksquat

Okay. Thanks EastPro, and Tiedeman.
  5. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

i would definitly go with the 60" deck. it will add up on those large properties.

The prices of ZTRs are going up by 4-5% SOON. My dealer said prices up 5% once his inventory clears.

Keep that in mind

6. Hacksquat

Okay. Thanks Trevor.