rookies mowing lawns every other week

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mike9497, Apr 4, 2003.

1. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

guys guys guys.i have been reading alot of threads and i see tons of rookie landscapers mowing lawns every other week.can't lawn site make a landscapers manual.you know landscaper rookie guide how to become a high end company & not a low balling scab who mows lawns for 12 bucks :D

2. cturner

cturner LawnSite Member

i'm not a scab but i am a rookie and i take these jobs because i am just starting out and have to take what i can get but if u know away that i can drum up some better business then please tell me but by the way these lawns that i have by-weekly get charged more but give me some advice:blob4:

3. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

Ct, Shorten you sentences..:p With the economy like it is you will have to push hard for sales. Make use of several advertising forms. Good luck to you.

4. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Some lawns I mow barely grow in a week....Its not how often they are willing to pay for it, its how often it needs to be mowed.

5. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, sometimes you will run across a yard that just doesn't grow much. They are few and far between. I used to do a lot of 2 week cuts, not anymore, to messy on the discharge.

6. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Well I have never been called a scrub before, but I guess the bare facts show that I am. I have several large properties that only need to be cut every two weeks. Since they are upscale houses I get top dollar for them and I am in the area anyway. Should I turn down the extra couple of hundred a week, just so I will lose my scrub status? :confused:

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Here we go again, scrub this, scrub that.

I'll say this again, if you concentrate on your customers, these people will not effect you.

Yes there are a lot of people that start every spring. But most of them quit by summer. They forget it gets hot outside. They didn't price right and it isn't worth it to them to work in the extreme heat for nothing. The fly by nighters HELP this industry. Why? Simple, they get potiential customers not wanting to cut anymore. They then quit or get unrealiable. Then, the property owner doesn't want to cut again. He starts looking for YOU. You step up to the plate and hit a homerun. These people help create the markets. Use them.

8. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

Im with Hoss I could care less what the other guy is doing and take care of my customers. If they think getting it done cheaper is the way to go then so be it ill find someone else to fill there spot. simple as that.

9. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

yeah step up to the plate having to do a 30.00 lawn every other week.im tired of getting 100 calls a week for 30.00 mowings that they want done twice a month then once a month in the summer.i think its crazy and i don't see how you guys are making any money.your hurting my income but at least my mowers are lasting longer because im not cutting lawns that are 2 feet tall.i think you guys need to change your ways.yeah i did this my first 2 months in the biz and found out i was losing more money than i was making.get on the ball guys.make out contracts that state you mow every week.soon these customers will have no choice but to have there lawns mowed every week.also stop charging 15.00 for a lawn thats worth 35.00 my min is 25.00 i have a lawn thats worth 15.00 but no one around here will do It for any less than 25.00 im not saying your scrubs i just think you need some direction.thats why the senior members should get together and come up with a manual to help the new guys out so u don't crush the trade.back in 1980 my uncle was getting 12 to 15.00 for a lawn that you can get 30.00 for now.we need to move this trade forward.not put it back to 1980

10. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

I myself will not take a lawn if they want it mowed biweekly. I tell them its gunna cost you twice as much if I do it that way :p