rooster tails?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dcgreenspro, May 24, 2007.

1. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

I have been dealing with poor cuts for about two weeks now. Been trying everything to make it cut better so I bought a brand new set of JD fatory high lifts for my JD 777 60 in. and it's still leaving rooster tails everywhere. Same w/ every other type of blade that I own. Leveled the deck, air pressure, no build-up underneath and I don't mow that fast to begin with. The only way it cuts nice is to move along at a snails pace. My question is do I need to replace the belts too???They are about a year and a half old. Thanks for your responces.

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

It has to be one or more of the blades not turning fast enough, since you have done everything else. So I would start checking belts, making sure everything is to spec. Just a guess.

3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Get a tach and check the rpms, thats your problem. You have to maintain at least 3600 rpms with no load to get a nice cut with the 7 Iron.

4. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

Is it either really tall heavy grass that is exceeding the capacity of the deck or is it possibly a really thin lawn. A thin lawn with a lot of bare spots is very hard to cut clean as well. Especially at cutting heights of 3" or more. This is due to the lack of vacuum. Many decks need to seal off with the grass to produce a nice cut.

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

My money is on that answer.

If that isn't it, check the tension idler pulleys and the belts.

6. klcArk

klcArk LawnSite Member

Another thing to check is the spindles. Check those for play. They should have ZERO movement.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

check the tension on the belts to see if there is slippage...you want only like a 1/2" play on your deck belts.