Root Intrusion of Subsurface Dripline

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by BigTree, Aug 13, 2008.

1. BigTree

BigTree LawnSite Member

Subject: Root Intrusion of Subsurface Dripline

My application is a subsurface dripline irrigation of turf (with lawn trees) in a residential setting. The dripline will likely have the following: pressure compensating, ½ in nominal diameter, ½ gph nominal flow, 12” spacing of emitters, 12” spacing of rows, shallow 4” burial depth below turf, and manufacturer provided herbicide system to discourage root invasion. One tree that I am planning on using is a Red Maple (October Glory) that I am led to believe will develop a fair amount of fibrous shallow roots. I plan to water the turf on a near daily basis (as necessary) for a short time (as necessary) and water the trees (which are on the same system as the turf as the tree canopy covers nearly the entire yard) on a weekly (maybe more frequent) basis for a much longer time (as necessary to soak down to all of the tree roots). My concern is to ensure that the herbicide associated with minimizing subsurface emitter root invasion (by turf or tree) as provided by the manufacturer DOES NOT adversely impact my tree (i.e., damage my tree roots). Presently, I am looking at three particular products rated by manufacturer for turf applications with my observations; however, I am not knowledgeable in this field.
    Netafim (www.netafimusa.com) – Techline CV with Techfilter. Netafim seems to claim that their emitter design (without the Techfilter) will resist root intrusion but when coupled with their Techfilter (which has discs impregnated with ‘trifluralin’ that need to be replaced periodically) it provides superior protection. Is the trifuralin really necessary? Netafim enjoys a great reputation and I have gotten a lot of positive feedback on this company regarding their dripline.
    Toro (www.toro.com) – DL2000. Emitter is impregnated with the pre-emergent Treflan. No other chemical additions are necessary. The unit is trade marked as ROOTGUARD. Toro is a solid company.
    DIG Corp (www.digcorp.com) – A1 Drip Line. With an emitter that is, “…. impregnated with Vinyzene, an antimicrobial additive to decrease fungal and bacterial growth within the dripper line …”; however, I am not sure if this is the same as a root inhibitor. The price of this drip line is very attractive, assuming that it can do the job.

Questions:
    1. Does anyone have data to support that any of the above products will materially impact my tree roots? Or not impact them?
    2. For the Netafim, is the Techfilter containing trifuralin really necessary? Or can I just use a regular filter and get sufficient root intrusion protection?
    3. Any other product recommendations or suggestions?

Thanks. Jerry

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Forget root intrusion - maples will encircle the tubing and choke it.

3. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

...and that's not root intrusion? ;)

4. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

sweet pics dude...

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Not really root intrusion, since the tiny roots might not enter the emitters, so long as the chemicals hold out. But it's kind of like thumbing your nose at an oncoming steamroller, on account of you're wearing a bulletproof vest.

6. lowvolumejeff

lowvolumejeff LawnSite Member

Very nice analogy. Jeff

7. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

I liked them, too. Maybe we should make it a policy not to reply to a post that has no pics attached:laugh:

8. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

It should be a rule!
    no more I think this or that...pics plz k!!!!

I demand satisfaction.

9. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't Plant a tree in the turf area.

OR

If you must plant the tree in the turf area, don't use netafim.

10. BigTree

BigTree LawnSite Member

WOW! You have saved me headache and hard ache. What was so obvious to you never entered my mind - guess I could not see the trees for the drip.

Regards, Jerry.