Root Saw?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by recycledsole, Oct 24, 2012.

1. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

Hey gentlemen.
    been getting into a lot of roots recently. some over 3" diameter. Terrible.
    wondering which product is best for removing these? Sawz all? Manual root saw?
    any input appreciated
    thanks alot

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

A sharp axe or hatchet, even a pickaxe with a blade on one side... sawing into the dirt looks bad, anytime... a sharp edge cuts quickly and cleanly with minimal stress on the plant they're attached to... :)

3. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

They make carbide tipped sawzall demolition blades that will hold up in dirt pretty well.

4. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

I would use a sawzall. Those blades are cheaper then a chain saw chain.

5. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

They make carbide tipped saw chain too, but it is wicked expensive, and while the chain will stay sharp cutting in the dirt, it will probably ruin your bar pretty fast.

The biggest problem with a sawzall is that demolition blades are coarse, but still not coarse enough for green wood, and the pruning blades will get dull really fast in dirt.

Anyway, I'd rather be replacing dull sawzall blades after half an hour of cutting, than sharpening my ax all day long.

6. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member

Just use a maddock and some elbow grease. No need to use any power equipment on anything 3 inches.

7. chips17

chips17 LawnSite Member
    from PA

Why are you cutting roots?

8. ron mexico75

I would take a guess and say working in an area where very old shrubs used to be. Or, planting new material on a property that has lots of tress on it.

I've run into this plenty of times. You could be 20 feet out from a tree and be planting something and hit enough roots while digging the hole to really get irritated.

9. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I use a maddock and a cheap sacrificial axe. I also have an official Boy Scout hatchet I'll use for tighter spaces like when I'm removing shrubs near foundations.

10. ron mexico75

I agree, I love using a maddock. Its a real good workout and call me crazy, but its a good way of getting any agression out of your system. I always pretend I'm chopping some terrorist up that tried attacking.