1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

roots and other obstacles

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jbob, Oct 19, 2003.

1. jbob

jbob LawnSite Member

here in south mississippi we have to deal with a lot of roots sticking up high enough that the blades on the mower will hit. i know it will be worse doing leaf removal than mowing. any good ideas how keep from hitting roots and other obstacles hidden under leaves? i plan on blowing the leaves where i do not think any roots are and pick up with cyclone rake.

2. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't have any advice on the topic other than raise the blade as high as you can and still get most of the leaves. Good idea you had about blowing them to where you know it is safe. But that is a very good reason I don't solicite new business in the fall (not saying you did, just an opportunity for me to mention it). It'd be terrible to do a one-time fall clean-up for somebody, tear up yer machine, and then they don't need ya anymore. Besides, on my regular props, I already know where the obstacles are. Anyhow, be careful, those roots will sure jar yer eye-teeth (especially hardwood) and break the pocketbook!
  3. doublesharp

doublesharp LawnSite Senior Member

Anything worse than Cypress knobs? Trees are pretty but those knobs will take over a Florida yard.
  4. bayoulawn

bayoulawn LawnSite Member

Hey Jbob,
    How do you like your cyclone? Im thinking hard about biting the bullet and getting one. Should I?
  5. jbob

jbob LawnSite Member

cyclone rake has not arrived yet ordered almost 2 weeks ago. should be here any day.
    yes i have cypress knees to deal with as well as 100 year old oaks in sandy soil. soil washes away and roots can rock your world.
    i am first year operation and trying to build a client base so was hoping leaf removal would help get year round customers.
    thanks for the replies.