Roots in the way of my mowing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bunton Guy, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone come across mature trees with large surface roots? What do you guys do?

A. Fill over with topsoil,seed & fert
    B. Take stump grinder to them !
    C. Make mulch beds larger.
    D. Any ideas?

Seriously...what do you guys do? Most of our residentials are mature lots and in that case the surface roots are high enough around the tree rings that mowers can get stuck (if the blades to get to them first):hammerhead:
  2. Bunton Guy

Any ideas guys?:weightlifter:
  3. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Larger mulch beds. Or bring them to florida, I lost 19 trees in the last yr from Hurricanes.
  4. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I know a guy who just cuts surface roots out. Horticulturally, I totally disagree. He's been doing this for 30 years and says it's never damaged a tree. This guys worked at golf courses, certified applicator etc. He really knows a lot. So needless to say his cutting roots leaves me confused. :confused:
  5. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

bigger mulch rings
  6. greenerdreams

greenerdreams LawnSite Member

we just line trim those areas, and bid appropriate for the extra time.
  7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Well you don't want to add soil around a tree's root zone because that can cause eventuall decline and loss of the tree.I also do not agree with taking a sump grinder to them.So your left with making the mulch beds larger to accomidate the tree roots.
  8. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

Just out of curiosity, how would adding a few yards of soil over top of roots partially sticking up out of the ground eventually kill a tree? We have a client who called about this just yesterday and asked us to do just that. His property is on a slight grade, and from the shade of the tree no grass is growing, and the rain is washing the dirt away slightly from the tree area(about 10' out from any side of the large tree). He wants an estimate to add soil, trim the lower branches of the tree, and plant new seed.

9. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

My understanding is it acts the same was as compaction. It reduces the amount of air that gets to the roots and causes the roots to reach for the air. Thus roots way above the soil line. thus you are just perpetuating a cycle.

Any who know better are more than welcome to set me straight, but that is my understanding.

Mulch acts the opposite way. It reduces compaction by adding OM to the soil and helps to create better air flow, reduces competition and increases moisture retention in drought times.
  10. Bunton Guy

Generally arent surface roots the trees way of showing that it is having stability issues? :dizzy: