ROPS, opinions?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by captaingreen, Feb 15, 2004.

1. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

I have noticed Exmark and Scag going with Roll Over Protection Systems on their mowers. Just wondering what everyone thinks about this, ever had a ZTR roll over on you?

2. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

No .... Just a guess, but, I'm betting they're doing it because of liability reasons.

3. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Ill remove them don’t like them at all and no I have never had a ZTR roll over on me or even become unstable and I do grades 30-40 degrees some times. What I don’t like is the height its 72 inches and that will get in the way on some of the lower trees on my lawns and the settings for lowering the height don’t help much since I don’t like the ultra vac and will be installing trac vacs on the 2 of the 3 new ZTRs I buy this year and the ROPS wont clear it so off they go.

4. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

One man show - NO ROPS please - where is that 'sawzall'..
    If you have employees - that is another story called 'liability'
    and removing 'safety devices' so beware.

BobR

5. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Im getting My new lazer this week sometime and I will be keeping mine on. I drive alot of tractors in my other job (mostly bush hogging) and am use to the rops systems so it should not be an issue. Besides Im almost 6 ft and if I cant walk under it without it hitting my head it gets cut, the branch that is.

6. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I talked to the dealer about this subject he said they are going to soon make it mandatory. I have had a ztr roll over on me, last year i was fin but it crushed my steel toe boot.

Jason

7. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I think it is something that we will be stuck with and have to get used to. I can think of many times where the rops would have put in in more trouble than not having one such as catching a branch and possibly flipping over backwards or cutting on along a slope and catching a trees and pulling you and the mower down the slope.

8. facelessfriend

facelessfriend LawnSite Member

I was at the Exmark dealer on Saturday. I asked about the ROP's. He said that they are put on because some guys do schools & city accounts and they are required by OSHA . I don't know if it's true ... but some of the models I've looked at recently it is an option. The Exmark just happen to put them on all ... more profit I guess.

9. I would say we will have to get use to it, give it a couple of years and all the mfgs. will be putting them on.

10. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

The way I look at it, safety stuff is put on equipment for a reason. The last thing I want is for an employee to have an accident only to find out it could have been prevented had I not disconnected a safety device. Then I would be looking at fines, increased insurance expenses and a possible lawsuit. This can be a dangerous business with a high possiblility of potential injury. I want to do everything I can to minimize risk. And for all those solo operators out there, what are you going to do when one of these mowers rolls over on you and you are out of work because of it?