ROPS.....or.....ROPD ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kipcom, Mar 1, 2005.

1. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

ROPS roll over protection system.

ROPD roll over protection device.

No matter how you say it....you just have to stop and think about it for a moment. Why did the makers of these machines add these on ?

Yes, accidents do happen and most are understandable.

There is a warning lable on the mower telling you NOT to go too steep.

Have you ever put yourself in a position on your rider that you might "roll-over" ??? If yes....What were you thinking !!!!!!

WARNING....steep inclines may make mower tip over...... Really ?? Duh...

FYI....ours were removed after 2 people (operators) were injured due to the roll bar catching tree limbs and "smacking" the operator in the head(both had to be treated at the hospital) What a paperwork nitemare. Also 1 person left it up(rollbar) and went flying into the enclosed trailer....Yep, he had to go change his "undies" after that one.

IMO....they are more of a hazard than a protection device by giving the operator a false sense of security. If you or your workers have ever experienced a downhill slide or get to close to the pond etc...then give them some time off to think about how stupid it is to do that and possibly cause injury or death to save a few minutes of work. For those of you who know what Im talking about here...commonsense is your best friend, put the rider up and get the WB or trimmer out (you know where Im talkin about ).....It might just save you life.

Be safe...use common sense :cool2:

2. chief5139

chief5139 LawnSite Member

I agree they do get in the way and theres not to many occasions to use them and there are a few company's that do not use them yet. I know snapper and simplicty do not. but Kubota does the great thing about kubota is that they fold at the same hieght as the opperator. wich keeps it from getting in the way

3. MImowerkid

MImowerkid LawnSite Member

ya , I agree,
    I do not have a roll cage, but I see why they put them on ,there are some pretty stupid people out there , kinda scares me when I see a local man just mowing a small ditch , like the ones I commonly do , filps and breaks his neck and dies. 1 mile away from my house , it is true, and I guess it is just how you fall , but I think that there is nothing more valuable than a life , so either mow with it on , or use a w.b. or something . I wouldn't risk my life , but you gotta think , am I, but I suppose you are every time you set foot in a car ?

4. Legacy

Legacy LawnSite Member

ROPS suck and I don't feel that they offer that much "extra" protection compared to all of the problems they produce. Some are mentioned above..

Another issue is that if you don't bother to use the seat belt they are completely worthless....OK how many of you use the freakin' seat belt??

I sure don't!!

5. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I perfer the ability to bail out if needed!! :D

6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

If your back hurts and you have a suspention seat the seatbelt keeps you from moving, and actually helps alot. Other than that, its as useful as the rops are.

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Do ya think these companies like to put extra crap on mowers to increase profits?
    I agree that the thing can be a pain for some but I see the industry moving towards safer machinery despite the complaints for a few reasons.

I am sure there will be no shortage of stupid people who do stupid things on mowers in the future. That is one reason that the rops are on there.
    Other reasons include, the person who is safety conscious who gets into an unsafe situation for whatever reason. IE inexperience, unforseen hazards, accident.
    I am also pretty sure that the insurance industry is behind it somewhere with a bunch of lawyers (who you probably mow for) calling the shots because of past and pending litigation.

Do we dare compare rops and seatbelts to passenger vehicle safety devices?
    Is there gonna be a manditory seat belt law for mowers? Are rops gonna be the standard in the future? Who will enforce the "laws"?

I know that this is a very sensitive topic and it comes down to individual freedom to choose. If you don't like the rops, you don't have to like them. Unbolt it and throw it in the metal bin. You are able to make an informed choice and do as you please. You have to recieve the equipment with the safety devices, just like cutoff switches, but there is no law stating you have to use them.
    Personally, I would shudder to think if someone got hurt and the law firm of SHark and Leach came investigating. No one consciously goes to work to become injured but enough people have hurt themselves by rolling these 800+LB mowers on top of themselves. It seems like a shotgun approach to safety but that is the state of the industry now. Stay safe, your family depends on you.

8. Mower Man

Mower Man LawnSite Member

Kipcom hit the nail on the head about common sense. But lets' remember most accidents are more often than not unexpected, and can't be predetermined. That's why we all have insurance.

As Legacy, and Stumper mentioned seat belt usage & bailing are key issues.

Some mowers are much more prone to a Slip-Slid & Roll (SS&R), and plain roll-overs than others.
    Higher Center Of Gravity, and faster speeds compound the issue, not to mention the operator.

Two companies, Toro & Exmark have made them mandatory because their in a bunch "death & wrongful injury" lawsuits.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission is enacting forced legislation of ROPS for the near future. Today, it's voluntary for the companies.

Notice the amount of newer models shifting from horizontal engines which have to use Mule drives, and/or gear boxes to vertical engines.
    One main advantage is a lower Center Of Gravity, which also can improve ride comfort, along with stability.

If you like or need ROPS, try looking at the position of the operator in the Triangle Of Safety.
    Some models don't offer as much protection as others which you can see by having someone sit in the seat, and observe the shoulder/arm distance to the vertical post, and from the upper ROPS corners to the top of the casters.
    Arms, and legs are much greater exposed to major limb damage, and being pinned than others.