ROPS systems and seatbelts...ya or na?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Apr 18, 2007.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Almost every manufacture is making units that have the Roll Over Protection System. Our Gravely has none but its an option. Everyone I see riding that has them always have them in a down position. I really dont see the point of these unless you are mowing steeper slopes. I would think they are more of a hassle, what if you forget to put it down while loading into an enclosed trailer, there's some nice damage. Or I'm sure tree branches could cause quite a few problems even in the down position. To me they are a added waste of money. As far as seat belts on a rider...no thanks. If I had to "bail out" while mowing the last thing I want to worry about is a stupid seat belt. By the time you fart around trying to remove it, its too late. Again to me these are well intended but a waste of money and probably a combined 500-600.00 added, useless accessory. JMO.

2. Pumper

Pumper LawnSite Member

ROPS are the manufacturers way of hedging against lawsuits. If they didn't have these and someone rolled a ZTR, you can bet a lawyer is right there saying it was the machine's fault and that it should have had a rollbar. The Rollbar actually raises the center of gravity on the machine and makes it more likely to roll over.

3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

the instructions tell ya if you mow with the roll bar down then dont use the seat belt......

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Last year I was using my Kubota's ROPS in the down position, and still ended up doing $4000 in damage to a gas station's price sign.

Usually I just take them off, since I would always hit tree branches with the uprights, even when folded down, however the new ZD331 Kubota, it's so intertwined into the mower, that I cannot take it off...... :nono:

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The ROPS takes the common sense factor out of the picture.

If you feel like you shouldn't be mowing a particular slope, DON'T!

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Way I see things is if you can accept responsibility for your actions, then the choice is yours.

I won't go without Rops, but I disabled operator presence safety switches on some of my stuff, it's all the same thing: If I get hurt, it is my problem. Perhaps leave them in place if you're still learning, remove them once you become proficient? Either way it is only a 'protection,' and not a sure fire way to guarantee safety, the Z can still turn over thou the rops prevents it to a good degree.

7. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I agree with all of the above statements but IMO this should be an option not a big $$$ item that you have to pay for.

8. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I tore that POS of my lazer the first day I had it. No thanks, dont want it.

All I need to do is snap a limb off a tree or find myself looking up at the sky because there is a branch stuck in it. Then. there are the spots where you cant get to because it is on. Yep, just what I want, more spots to hit with the wacker.

ROPS are not for me, and hell, I dont even wear a seat belt in my trucks. Why would I wear one on the mower.

9. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

you can blame the nitwits who rolled their mowers down into drainage ditches and drown, when they shouldn't have been near there with a mower anyhow.

Rops is here to stay.

How does it get in the way if it's folded down when your head is higher then it, unless your 4'5" tall???

10. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

"hell, I dont even wear a seat belt in my trucks."

hey darwin, i've got one over here for you!!!!!! Just kidding. i believe it should be an individual choice (except with children). the same goes for motorcycle helments. however, if you are injured in an accident and that injury could have been prevented by the use of either, then you are not entitled to any gov benefits and you insurance should not have to pay, unless you have a policy that specifically allows for these behaviors.

i agree with you on the ROPS....not enough risk to warrant the cost or expense, not to mention the inconvenience.