ROPS up or down?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thenewbmower, Sep 24, 2010.

1. thenewbmower

thenewbmower LawnSite Member

I was wondering what most guys out there use. Up for the safety on the hills?
    Or down for the clearance of trees? I put mine up because I live in a neighborhood with not many trees but super sloped land. What's your opinion?

2. JohnBanks

JohnBanks LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

I hate them and think they are more dangerous to have on.

The only time i have ever almost rolled a machine is when the damn thing gets stuck on something.and i take my zero turns in nasty hills

3. thenewbmower

If you don't mind me asking, what did it get caught on?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. sven1277

sven1277 LawnSite Senior Member

Had them off the first weekend. One of my guys was mowing under a fruit tree with them folded and it still hit a large branch and had the machine doing a wheelie.

5. thenewbmower

I see. Like I said, I don't have many trees, just lots of grass, and the trees I have are high enough to not be a problem. But I guess that's just my situation.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

up when i need it down when i dont so 99% of the time its down

7. gebby

gebby LawnSite Senior Member

Mine is down all the time. It does catch on things. Tree's, I've taken a few branch's along the way. Yea they will do a wheelie and you have to change underwear. Not so bad now as more carefull and when the wheelie happens, you hope you know how to handle. I was on a slight hill one day going around a power pull not expecting a wheelie, being on the slope it got caught on the pole. It can shake you up. But we have a lot of hills and it is there for us, if we feel we need it.

8. landers lawn

landers lawn LawnSite Member

i use my rops only when i bag. th bagger want open with it down. when not bagging, they stay down.

9. deerex

deerex LawnSite Member

Mine down 99.9% of the time. One nice thing about the JD 900 series is the break point of the rops is real low so they do not catch on things when down.

10. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Mine is folded in the "half-way" position since I have the bagging system on and I can't fold it any lower. But it works out well because the position the ROPS is in, it keeps branches from getting caught on the bagger. The only time I do put the ROPS in the fully up position is when I have a new account with a hill that I am not sure about. But 98% of the time the ROPS is in the half-way folded position.
    Posted via Mobile Device