1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Rops

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by lawnandplow42, Jun 11, 2005.

1. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

Can you take off or fold down the ROPS bar on the new scags?

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

took ours off

3. shortgut

shortgut LawnSite Member

The one on our Turf Tiger does not fold down but looks like you can unbolt it Been tossing around the idea of putting a canopy on the mower but have not made up mind yet guess I am waiting to se if we get any rain or not if we do not it will be a short season for sure

4. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

why did you take yours off? j/w, thats probably what i'd do when i buy a new one.

5. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

ROPS sucks it catches low tree branches and wants to take you backwards.

6. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

I agree ROPS is a PITA and, I believe, makes the equipment more dangerous.

7. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I took mine off.

8. soccerlawn

soccerlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Does it void the warranty if you take them off?

9. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

left mine on the new z master we just got. I mow alot of steep slopes tho. Stays up on slopes and down around trees. I really wish it was hinged lower though. Lower than my head when folded but can still snag a branch that can come back at you and whack you in the head. If mine was unfoldable like scag I would yank it tho.

10. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I just took my machine in for clutch work under warranty. The did the work and asked about the ROPS. I told them I took down too many trees and damaged too many swingsets. He said, "Thats fine, just as long as you did it and not me". You will not win a law suit against a manufacture if you take it down & you get killed on the mower.