1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by lawnandplow42, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

But if you have employees and they get killed when you took it off, they WILL win. Or even worse they get maimed or paralyzed. User error has no sway in court when you circumvented major safeties on the equipment.

Yes, here in Florida they are so useful with all our steep inclines, but at least they helpwith the trimming of the low branches.
  2. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I have a exmark laser, the last year before the rops were standard, and I dred the time when I will have to get a new one with the rops. I have employees so I know that I should not take them off but I am really worried about tree limbs, swingsets, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the rops contribute to more injuries but less deaths. It is ridiculous.
  3. turfmann

turfmann LawnSite Platinum Member
    from PRM

You Have Got To Be Kidding Me!

Put The Roll Bar Back On!

It Is There For A Reason.

No One Expects To Have Their Machine Roll Over, But Believe Me %&#* Happens That You Do Not Expect, Anticipate Or Even Imagine Could Happen.

I Am About As Careful An Operator As You Will Ever Find, But I Once Had An Accident And Had A Machine I Was Riding Roll Over Me. It Did Not Have A Roll Bar. I Escaped With "only" A Separated Shoulder. Two Weeks Out Of Work, A Lot Of Pain, Physical Therapy And An Ugly Bump On My Shoulder Where My Clavicle Sticks Up, Since It Was Displaced 3". I'm Lucky - It Should Have Killed Me.
  4. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

is it true that scag only has the ROPS on certain models, depending on the horsepower

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

ROPS is standard equipment we mow high end properties with trees we can not get around our decision.9 out 10 users probally will not buckle up so will it help if you roll.
  6. fairwayCuts

fairwayCuts LawnSite Member

I took mine of my 757. I really don't cut any lawns withs hills, so no real worries of tipping over. I actualy almost tipped it over when the ROPS snagged a branch. All of the sudden the front deck jumpped about 2 feet off the ground, I thought for sure it was going to roll over. After that I decided to take them off.