Rops

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by nick858, Feb 22, 2006.

1. nick858

nick858 LawnSite Member

Is there a plan to include ROPS standard on the Hustlers soon? Most brands I have looked at Exmark, Snapper, have the ROPS on them, and it is $719 option from my Hustler Dealer. 719 is a small price to pay for safety, but it sounds like a lot of money on an 8000 ZTR.
    thanks

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Not at this time.
    Now.... they are standard on our 34hp diesel model.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Why would you WANT a ROPS?

Take a mower that has ROPS standard for an extended test mow. You'll be ripping branches, clothes line poles, garage doors, and enclosed trailers down.

If all you mow is wide open fields with NO trees or clothes line poles, then maybe you need a different type of mower.

4. mike28nc

mike28nc LawnSite Member

What are you all talking about. I know what a Rope is. But what does that have to do with lawn mower.

Mike

5. nick858

nick858 LawnSite Member

I have an account that deals with 19 (3ac) lots. All open mowing. And my brother that works with me has MS, which would make it hard for him to have a lot of control over the mower or the quickness to avoid a roll over. Mainly I want the ROPS for there original intention, SAFETY.

6. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

ROPS = Roll Over Protection System
    AKA as a roll bar.

Pj

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Just making sure your aware of their dangers as well.

As if you hit a tree branch with one, and the branch doesn't break, you will flip the mower up on its back in a couple seconds. Sometimes this happens w/o any problems, but often times, it will grab, spin the ZTR into the tree trunk and then flip over.

I'm all for safety, but when there ISN'T a problem with ZTR's flipping over w/o a ROPS in the first place, why are they mandatory on some models?

8. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

They delivered my new Lazer the other day. The dealer wasn't out the driveway and I had the ROPS off. I am all for safety. Any slope that I think is at all questionable I use my walk behind. And I agree with TLS that they can be a hazard in certain situations. I have many accounts that include manuvering around trees and under limbs. ROPS would not serve me well.