Rose briar control

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Roger, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I primarily do mowing, but after the season was finished, a man asked me to cut down, cleanup, and stack debris from a couple of places in his backyard. I finished the work late last week, and now he wants to control the problem.

He moved to the house about 3-4 years ago. An area below a pool was a forcythia patch, but the former owner planted rose bushes in the midst of the forcythia. Also, that owner planted the same kind of rose bushes behind a chain link fence just below the forcythia patch.

The rose bushes are those that grow in clumps. The base stalks were one inch, plus or minus, and the stalks were often 10-12 feet high. Of course, they were covered with wicked thorns.

I but them down, close to the ground, took away the debris and stacked it into a pile to be burned. I know this isn't the right time of the season to trim back forcythia, but he wanted the area cleaned out. Waiting until late Spring would have meant more of a mess than already existed. Having flowers on the forcythia was of last importance.

What can be done to control these rose bushes? Two years ago, he worked at digging them out. From the population, any efforts at the digging task was without any success. Obviously, they are dormant now, but will show fresh sprouts in the Spring.

My suggestion was to get a 2 gallon pressure sprayer and some brush killer conentrate. I told him to spray down the new growth as soon as it appears, and then keep up with a weekly spraying for as long as it takes to keep any new growth from taking hold. Anybody have another suggestion.

I will try to post pictures, but don't know if I will be succesful. One is of the briars with the forcythia, another of the briars next to the chain link fence, and how I have cut it down, and then the piles.

[No success in activating the 'attachments' option - no pics]

2. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Your suggestion about repeat applications of brush killer is the best solution. You couldn't guarantee that you could dig all of the roots up. You could cover the area where the roses were with several layers of heavy black plastic for one season if he is anti-chemical. If that's the case I like to point out that it took more petroleum (i.e. chemical) to make the plastic than it would to make the herbicide.

3. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

The best way is to treat each individual cut with either Tordon or Garlon4. This can be done when the plant is dormant like it is now and with much less chemical than a foliar app. Apply the app to the cut the same day of cutting for best results though.