1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rose bush pruning and shrub ID

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JCLawn and more, Jun 24, 2014.

1. New2TheGreenIndustry

New2TheGreenIndustry LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

$80 per plant? Sounds about right.
  2. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

A knockout should retail for about $30 for a #2 or #3
    The juniper looks like a sea green or mint julep that has been trimmed (retail about $30 for a #3, $45 for #5). The rest are yews, probably densiformis (retail around $45-$50 for 15"-18")

Double retail would be a reasonably competitive price in my area to supply and install.

You might look to another nursery or staff person for better plant ID.
  3. jonnyz37

jonnyz37 LawnSite Senior Member

$80????? To pull and plant 10 shrubs? Holy cow batman. I'm between 15-25 for pulling shrubs depending on size. If plants are supplied.... If plant for the same price range... So you can figure what my price would be.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

Plants range from $30-$40 so I bid $40 for purchasing/delivery and $40 for pulling out the old ones, replanting, and desposal. There were 8 knock outs to be replace, 4 yews and 2 junipers. In case anyone is confused the bid is $1120
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  5. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

Sea green looks the most like it. Issue is that this winter has no effect on any others
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

It looks like physical or chemical damage from either sanders or plows from the street to me. I noticed a lot of evergreens within 10' of the road damaged up to 6' high for a couple of miles along a stretch of state highway (narrow single lane each way road) in my area this spring.
  7. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

The Midwest winter has done this kind of damage everywhere... Another winter like it will cause 'winter kill' on the Arbs, Yews and Junipers again...
    When I started the business my area was Z3, but because of the cyclical warming trend we've been upgraded to Z5b, which should be fine for many more bushes... I imagine that the 50 year cycle is coming round again and last winter may become normal again for a decade or so... Pray for "El Nino"... :)

One of the things you can do to help prevent winter kill is be sure that there is plenty of moisture in the soil and plant before the ground starts to freeze... If the dessicating sub-zero winds harass the plants during the winter and the ground dries under the snow, you'll have the issue of winter kill...

I remember pruning out winter kill every spring as part of my annual cleanup and the planting of Yews and Arbs was advised against...