rose bushes as a theft deterent

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by tailboardtech, Feb 24, 2012.

1. tailboardtech

tailboardtech LawnSite Senior Member

I just got a call from one of my regulars to plant 23 rose bushes under every window at her house. She's been broken into 2 times since october and her insuance company is paying for it never heard that one before.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

Interesting. I know I've got one rose that's just awful nasty when it comes to thorns, and a few that barely have thorns at all.
    The birds nest in the thorny one was well protected from the neighborhood cats.

3. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Chinese hollies. Ouch!

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Have roses in the center for flowers with a perimeter of barberry for seasonal foliage interest...
    Finally, a purpose for barberry...

Then a barbwire eletric fence coiled around that... :)

5. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

Great idea. Guys in my area sooooo overuse barberry it drives me nuts. Its good for dry spots though.

I like the idea thoough. In fact this thought has occurred to me before....To keep my kids from sneaking out!

6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Down here it's Bougainvillea's. They will tear a sweatshirt just walking by them.:usflag:

7. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the same thought, around heatpump.

8. classy

classy LawnSite Member

Makes sense, it is extremely common to integrate landscaping with building security. What I find interesting is 2 things, 1) insurance is financing it 2) they chose Roses instead of Holly.

I read "somewhere" that you have a chance of lowering your insurance premiums if you have holly planted under all of your windows. (Troll Notice: don't waste your time picking at my "somewhere", I will without doubt never answer you). So for some of the newer guys, this is a huge selling point for shrub/bush installations, and it holds water.

9. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

The Barberry was my first inclination also. Thumbs Up

I had a client that was looking for a living fence to keep the dogs and kids in their yard and barberry's were my first choice. But, I couldn't consciously do it as I'd feel horrible if one of the kids got a nasty infection from a barberry thorn.

Those suckers are worse than Roses as far as I'm concerned. Any thief that gets in one of those will be picking thorns out for weeks.

10. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Yuccas/Spanish bayonets are planted in my ex state of FL under the windows to help prevent thefts. I would suggest a big rotti or some other deep voice dog.

Pit traps with pungee sticks with poison tips work too. :)
    Posted via Mobile Device