Rose of Sharon pest question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnscapesLLC, Aug 19, 2007.

1. lawnscapesLLC

lawnscapesLLC LawnSite Member

Figured this might be a good place to post this. I have a Rose of Sharon on my deck that is covered with some sort of pest. It looks like small black spots all over the flower buds and now on some leaves as well. I noticed today that there are a bunch of little insects on the leaves too which makes me believe that the black spots are eggs of some sort. Anyone know what this is and how to treat it? It's in a large pot and before the freeze I have to bring it into my house and don't want to bring those bugs in with it.

Thanks in advance!

2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I've dealt with Rose of Sharon's (Althea) for 30 years (both southern zones as well as northern zones). I've never seen any disease prob -- and seldom a micronutrient prob, cuz these guys tolerate a wide variety of soil types.

Aphids can be a common prob, though. So (without seeing pics), I suspect "sooty mold" (the black specks). Sooty mold grows on the 'honeydew' created by aphids.

Spray somewhat regularly with an insecticide labeled for aphids. This should do the trick.